Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If the Lib Dems abstain then apparently the next thing is to completely cut funding to the lower degress like media studies and business and give the money to the degrees such as science, maths and engineering. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Great_One)
    If the Lib Dems abstain then apparently the next thing is to completely cut funding to the lower degress like media studies and business and give the money to the degrees such as science, maths and engineering. What do you think?
    I think you are as stupid as those politicians. Who gave you the right to say lower degrees and higher degrees? That's elitism.
    EDIT:Those pricks already thought about that,you aren't the only one with that stupid idea.

ReputationRep:
    University is based on the concept of elitism, it's why there are grade requirements.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry i started 2 threads. Mods delete one of them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoulfulBoy)
    I think you are as stupid as those politicians. Who gave you the right to say lower degrees and higher degrees? That's elitism.
    EDIT:Those pricks already thought about that,you aren't the only one with that stupid idea.
    I agree with you business isn't a lower degree but media studies? i really cant think of a use for it (feel free to correct me if im wrong if you can).

And to be honest, sciences and engineering need more funding due to the very nature of there courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fuzzed_Out)
    University is based on the concept of elitism, it's why there are grade requirements.
    I think that's a very old fashioned view on it, however true it may (have) be(en).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grth)
    I think that's a very old fashioned view on it, however true it may (have) be(en).
    I don't think so. It is the most academically able students who will generally do best in their degrees and make the most out of them, so elitism in admissions is a positive thing, and will always be important. After all, there has to be some sort of elitism in order to select which students to admit when there are more applications than places (which there are).

The important thing is that it is academic elitism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flob)
    I don't think so. It is the most academically able students who will generally do best in their degrees and make the most out of them, so elitism in admissions is a positive thing, and will always be important. After all, there has to be some sort of elitism in order to select which students to admit when there are more applications than places (which there are).

The important thing is that it is academic elitism.
    That's a fair point. I would have completely disagreed before given a broader view of elitism in university, but academic elitism is fair enough., no matter how wrong I feel it is because i'm not at Oxbridge :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grth)
    Why is it an old fashioned view?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fuzzed_Out)
    Why is it an old fashioned view?
    Simply the idea that universities still stick their noses up at poorer students. I didn't realise you were talking solely about academic elitism. That's a different can of worms mate.

ReputationRep:
    I did the first year in a media studies course (waste of time) they didn't seem to have any funding anyway, had to pay for hand-outs and stupidly high prices for readers (£7 for one terms reader, there were three readers per term)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.