Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Alternative uni solution Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Apparently if this vote doesn't go through the next plan is to completely abolish funding to lower degrees such as media studies and business and give all of the money to the likes of science, maths and engineering, What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    i dont completely think that they should abolish all those fees
    although i like the idea of reducing media studies and some business courses.

ReputationRep:
    I say yes simply because I'll be doing a science degree. Selfish :yy:

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand the deal with media studies. admittedly, yes it does sound like a bit of a doss but I know some people who done REALLY well out of it. Better than any sort of engineer/lawyer or doctor, you just have to work hard, I think making media courses more exclusive and at less universities is the answer. It's so hypocritical of them to scrap the arts degrees when most if them did arts degrees themselves!!

(Original post by The_Great_One)
      Apparently if this vote doesn't go through the next plan is to completely abolish funding to lower degrees such as media studies and business and give all of the money to the likes of science, maths and engineering, What do you think?
      How many of those very wealthy media presenters, writers, producers and technicians and so on do you think did science and maths degrees? Media is a huge industry in the UK, you do know that?

And for many UK universities business is the biggest money earning subject.

Tip: thinking first, typing later.

ReputationRep:
      People need to take Mickey Mouse degrees to say that they went to University.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Oswy)
      How many of those very wealthy media presenters, writers, producers and technicians and so on do you think did science and maths degrees? Media is a huge industry in the UK, you do know that?

And for many UK universities business is the biggest money earning subject.

Tip: thinking first, typing later.
      Think before you type. How many people do you know in that past 5 years that have done a media degree and got a job in TV straight after, none. do you know why that is...because in the TV inudstry they look for experience so not many people can get their foot on the ladder to start with and if you do your the runner which means you make tea. So people get a media degree and make cups of tea for the rest of their life.
      How many media technicians could actually do a science or maths degree...none because they werent clever enough to do them to start with. You need the highest grades to do those subjects.

ReputationRep:
      Thing is, as far as I remember, they're already planning to abolish funding to all arts based subjects and making them rely solely on (increased) student top up fees. So including History and Literature and some rather well respected degree courses. I do feel like they're abdicating all responsibility for higher education.

As far as I remember.

ReputationRep:
      Think before you type. How many people do you know in that past 5 years that have done a media degree and got a job in TV straight after, none. do you know why that is...because in the TV inudstry they look for experience so not many people can get their foot on the ladder to start with and if you do your the runner which means you make tea. So people get a media degree and make cups of tea for the rest of their life.
      How many media technicians could actually do a science or maths degree...none because they werent clever enough to do them to start with. You need the highest grades to do those subjects.
      Many media degrees offer the opportunity to undertake work placements, often have guest lecturers and can set you up with lots of contacts within the industry.
      I havnt undertaken a degree in media, but I can imagine through common sense that the subject matter is of great help and importance when finding a job in the media, many courses are quite hands on practically.
      Also I cannot believe you believe media technicians are not clever enough to undertake a science/maths degree, its ignorant and ridiculous to generalise like that. ridiculous

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by moomin-matt)
      Many media degrees offer the opportunity to undertake work placements, often have guest lecturers and can set you up with lots of contacts within the industry.
      I havnt undertaken a degree in media, but I can imagine through common sense that the subject matter is of great help and importance when finding a job in the media, many courses are quite hands on practically.
      Also I cannot believe you believe media technicians are not clever enough to undertake a science/maths degree, its ignorant and ridiculous to generalise like that. ridiculous
      You done a media degree...have u got a job in media then?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by moomin-matt)
      He hasn't done a media degree. He said that.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Potiron)
      He hasn't done a media degree. He said that.
      my mistake..your a fine gentleman and a toff for pointing that out

ReputationRep:
      Why don't you read before posting? If you did I dare say you may cone across as less ignorant

ReputationRep:
      no i havnt done a media degree, iv done one year of an english degree, and have re-applied to continue studying english.
      i have done internships however and they all agree (especially within the magazine industry) you need a degree in a media or english subject

ReputationRep:
      I think people need to be more ignorant...thats the problem wit hsociety people are too soft and nicey nice. We need people to have attitude.
      And now ironically you're displaying your ignorance about ignorance! Ignorance has nothing to do with attitude. One can be both knowledgable and abhorrent; one could also be both ignorant and 'nice'.

ReputationRep:
      No.

The arts provide massive benefits to the public. They just happen not to be purely economic benefits so people presume they're worthless.

(And that's coming from a scientist)

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by halfoflessthan50p)
      No.

The arts provide massive benefits to the public. They just happen not to be purely economic benefits so people presume they're worthless.

(And that's coming from a scientist)
      No they don't all artists do is crush a can of coke and say *wow look at this crushed can of coke* and get a million pound for it.

ReputationRep:
      our society, identity and culture are shaped by the work of arts and media graduates.

someones mickey-mouse course is anothers dream course.

i dont think a person studying mathematics is going to change my life.
      somebody who maybe studies english and creates a great work of fiction or cinema could have the potential to affect my life.

it really is all relative.

ReputationRep:
      No they don't all artists do is crush a can of coke and say *wow look at this crushed can of coke* and get a million pound for it.
      theres a million and one things that coke can represent, what it can bring to somebodys experience living on earth, thats the power of art. and why people turn up to university every year and study and learn arts and humanities

ReputationRep:
      Wouldn't it make more sense to fund degrees to benefit the country, for example medicine and nursing for doctors and nurses. Science degrees are worth more to a country than media studies, as the scientists do the research to further the country, without science we would be living in the stone age, without media studies we might have to survive with a few less tv shows or newspapers. If one had to choose over medicines to save the sick or tv to entertain the lazy, it makes sense to support the scientists. Yes those in media studies may earn more than many scientists but they give back less to society. Sorry for random rant and before I get any neg rating i have lots of friends who wish to do or have done either sciences or media studies.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.