Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What does the qualificiation mean? Sorry I know it's probs obvious... Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking at degrees on UCAS... I'm a bit confused about the qualifications

3FT Hon BSc I know that's honors but what about 3FT Ord BSc and 2FT Fdg FdSc?

Are they less than honors? What do they stand for?

Sorry for asking silly questions thanks loads!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Bachelors for science and arts.

Not sure how much it actually matters what they are called though.

ReputationRep:
    3 year full time- full degree

2 year full time- foundation degree, can be topped up with another year so may as well do a full 3 year degree imo

At least that's what I think you're referring to..

You can get a full degree without Honours, I know people who did and I guess they must have failed their dissertation?!

BA- BAchelor of Arts
    BSC- Bachelor of Science

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahinco)
    I'm looking at degrees on UCAS... I'm a bit confused about the qualifications

3FT Hon BSc I know that's honors but what about 3FT Ord BSc and 2FT Fdg FdSc?

Are they less than honors? What do they stand for?

Sorry for asking silly questions thanks loads!
    1. 3 year, full time, Honours degree
    2. 3 year, full time, ordinary degree - not as good as an honours degree. I'm surprised you can apply for that course, usually everyone goes on the honours course and then if you fail a couple of modules you get an ordinary degree. The norm is definitely an honours degree though, so go for that one
    3. 2 year, full time, foundation degree - so a shorter course, less in depth, you can usually do a 1yr top up course to get these to a full degree.

If you do a foundation degree, you won't be able to apply for jobs which are graduate jobs (ie ones which have a requirement for a degree).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tallon)
    Bachelors for science and arts.

Not sure how much it actually matters what they are called though.
    it matters because one (the foundation degree) isn't even a full degree! And the other is a non-honours degree, which isn't as many university credits as an honours degree, so definitely isn't the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    1. 3 year, full time, Honours degree
    2. 3 year, full time, ordinary degree - not as good as an honours degree. I'm surprised you can apply for that course, usually everyone goes on the honours course and then if you fail a couple of modules you get an ordinary degree. The norm is definitely an honours degree though, so go for that one
    3. 2 year, full time, foundation degree - so a shorter course, less in depth, you can usually do a 1yr top up course to get these to a full degree.

If you do a foundation degree, you won't be able to apply for jobs which are graduate jobs (ie ones which have a requirement for a degree).
    Ahh brilliant, thank u so much!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    it matters because one (the foundation degree) isn't even a full degree! And the other is a non-honours degree, which isn't as many university credits as an honours degree, so definitely isn't the same.
    Sorry, what I said earlier sounds a bit stupid.

I meant between Ba and Bsc. I'd think what uni you went to and what is taught matters more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tallon)
    Sorry, what I said earlier sounds a bit stupid.

I meant between Ba and Bsc. I'd think what uni you went to and what is taught matters more.
    oh right!

Yeah, sometimes BA/BSc can indicate how scientific/mathsy the course is (eg. BSc economics will probably have more maths modules than a BA economics at the same uni, and a BSc geog would have more physical geography modules than a BA geog at the same uni), but Cambridge have a BA Maths because they call all their courses BAs and some unis even let you choose whether they call your degree a BA or BSc or not so it doesn't mean much at all!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 1, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.