Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do I make more friends at uni? Watch

I went to an all-girls boarding school as a day pupil and I never really made any proper friends. I thought that that'd change when I got to uni but it just seems to be the same.

I'm living in halls but I spent most of the time since I came here studying, my course is really intense and only a couple of people in my hall are doing it. I've only gone out clubbing and so on for a few nights, mainly because of money, my student loan barely stretches to cover everything and my family is quite poor so they cant help.

I feel that everyone in my hall has already formed their own friendship group, and I'm just stuck on the outside. No-one really pays me that much attention in conversations. My corridor mostly contains football players and guys like that whom I sometimes say hello to but that's about it. I'm part of a small group of close friends on my course, but they are all moving into houses with their hall-mates next year. I might ask if I can stay in halls for my second year though I'm not sure if it's allowed.

I want to make more friends in my hall - how can I do this? Or is it already too late? What do all the people WITH friends do? I really try but sometimes I feel I don't have that much in common with them, they're talking about which club to try out next and I'm wondering if I can afford to buy all the clothes I need for winter. Sometimes I'm really depressed and uptight without meaning to be.

Also, which societies are best for meeting people? Do people usually make most of their friends in societies by going to socials and stuff?

Thanks.

anyone? x

*bump for OPs sake*

ReputationRep:
    It's never too late, people meet new people all the time. And everyone at uni is really open to make new friends, always. If you start to think it's too late, it'll hold you back. Join socities you'd enjoy. I met most people during nights out and socials. Also - try and get a job to give you the extra cash, even for a day a
    weeks or so

ReputationRep:
    It is never too late to make friends. You just have to put yourself out there and give people a chance to get to know you.
    If you live in halls, in the evenings (after you have finished your work) do you go to the common areas like the kitchen to chat to people? Because that sort of thing is important
    Also if you do say hi to the guys on your corridor, maybe go a step further and try and make a conversation out of it - get to know some stuff about them. People love talking about themselves so its guaranteed to get conversation flowing.
    As for societies, just join something you really enjoy. And make the effort to talk to as many people as you can.
    It would be worth getting a weekend job to get a little extra cash so you can go out and enjoy yourself.
    Uni is tight for money for all students, but thats no reason to miss out on the fun
    Hope it goes well xx

ReputationRep:
    It's never too late to make friends at uni.

While you won't have the advantage of everyone being new and in the same situation, people will hopefully still be welcoming. Right now is probably a good time to make an attempt actually, with the money thing... it's nearing the end of term so many people are low on funds, and also have a lot of work to do for deadlines. So it may be easier to be on the same level and make friends and from there it will just carry on even if the circumstances change next year.

I would say the course is a good idea for you. Have you asked any of the people if they'd consider living with you? They might have a spare room or something. With intense courses people often stick together, like nursing... my nursing friends all live in houses of nurses mainly, some of them live with a couple of guys who don't really like going out clubbing etc. It works because everyone understands the awkwardness of different placement shifts and shares the high workload. Not to say that it HAS to be like that but it seems to work well!

With clubs and societies it depends on what they are. My friend is in DanceSport (club) and she makes friends at the dance practices. I was in a political society last year and I spoke to them at meetings. But in 'MathSoc' which is basically based on socials that's where people make friends. It's usually a nice open event where everyone is welcome to come along even on their own and just chat and be social like the name implies. If you can, try and get involved and have a say in what you do. Can I suggest three-legged bar crawl, where the 'partners' are randomly drawn. Good way to get people talking! And of course, there's no obligation to drink if money or choice or other dictates that.

In halls I would probably go with hanging out in the kitchen more. Like maybe sit in there casually when you'd usually be in your room, and chat to people. Hopefully you'll get some invites, but if not maybe suggest doing something. Maybe watching a film, or going to a social together, or a pub quiz or something. And then maybe you can branch out to other friends in the halls.

Good luck, and keep positive about it, everything will work out if you keep happy and just be confident. xxx

ReputationRep:
    When I think about it, the best friends I made are the people I made fun of. So be funny.

If you are in halls, hang in the kitchen, ask what everyone is doing that night. In my halls you could find someone to go out with every night. Ask your coursemates if they wanna go pub after a lecture. Very few would refuse. I miss uni...

ReputationRep:
    Do you think you have time to get a job? There would be new people to meet plus you'd have more money.

If not, societies and sports are a good way to do it.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I went to an all-girls boarding school as a day pupil and I never really made any proper friends. I thought that that'd change when I got to uni but it just seems to be the same.

I'm living in halls but I spent most of the time since I came here studying, my course is really intense and only a couple of people in my hall are doing it. I've only gone out clubbing and so on for a few nights, mainly because of money, my student loan barely stretches to cover everything and my family is quite poor so they cant help.

I feel that everyone in my hall has already formed their own friendship group, and I'm just stuck on the outside. No-one really pays me that much attention in conversations. My corridor mostly contains football players and guys like that whom I sometimes say hello to but that's about it. I'm part of a small group of close friends on my course, but they are all moving into houses with their hall-mates next year. I might ask if I can stay in halls for my second year though I'm not sure if it's allowed.

I want to make more friends in my hall - how can I do this? Or is it already too late? What do all the people WITH friends do? I really try but sometimes I feel I don't have that much in common with them, they're talking about which club to try out next and I'm wondering if I can afford to buy all the clothes I need for winter. Sometimes I'm really depressed and uptight without meaning to be.

Also, which societies are best for meeting people? Do people usually make most of their friends in societies by going to socials and stuff?

Thanks.
    Do you go to Loughborough Uni?

ReputationRep:
    What Uni do you go 2.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 3, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.