Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

They've got us using IE7 in one of the labs at college, and it's really, really awful. I can't believe that people ever used it, or that MS even released it - it took the best part of a minute to load this page!

People need to get a real browser.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    They've got us using IE7 in one of the labs at college, and it's really, really awful. I can't believe that people ever used it, or that MS even released it - it took the best part of a minute to load this page!

you made a thread about this? Alot of colleges and schools are still using it, because they cant be bothered to upgrade it. you just have to deal with it.

on another note - all I do with my mate is download google chrome each week and install it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's terrible, but there are still many business portals that won't render properly in other web browsers, so until then, it'll still be 'round.

ReputationRep:
    I've used a whole range of browsers, and IE seems no less functional than the rest to me. It's just some weird anti Microsoft elitism.

ReputationRep:

Be happy that you've got IE7. At work, we have IE6 :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I've downloaded Chrome onto all the computers at uni which don't require a log in. I've only recently got my mum to change to Chrome too, IE is so slow and crashes all the bloody time.

ReputationRep:
    Just download firefox and chill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    I've used a whole range of browsers, and IE seems no less functional than the rest to me. It's just some weird anti Microsoft elitism.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...pera,2558.html

(Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Be happy that you've got IE7. At work, we have IE6 :erm:
    I'd rather have IE6, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    IE is so integrated into the web, it's going to be around for a while yet. Maybe ask your college if they can update their computers to run Chrome?

ReputationRep:
    I hate the version we have at school. You can't open seperate tabs so you have to have a new window open for every different website you want open at the same time. It's so annoying, especially when you are trying to do research or compare things and you have loads of internet explorer windows open. Especially now I am used to tabs. On my laptop I use chrome but everywhere else its internet explorer.

ReputationRep:
    Stick a portable version of chrome/firefox on a USB stick? Or is that not allowed?

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to the year 2010, where Microsoft can't make a decent internet browser, MP3 player or smartphone platform.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, what a completely unbiased source :rolleyes:

Dude, I have google chrome and firefox. Nothing works on them. Web pages won't load, flash freezes, videos fail. With ie, everything works first time of asking. Plus, they're a huge security hazard. It's not merely coincidental that almost every major company on the planet specifically bans their users from downloading google chrome.

(Original post by Broderss)
    IE is so integrated into the web, it's going to be around for a while yet. Maybe ask your college if they can update their computers to run Chrome?
    I don't like Chrome, nor does anyone else here. In fact, I don't understand why so many people seem to like it - it's just shiny Google-ness. And the tests of Chrome against Fx, IE, and Opera were all run by Google... wonder why Chrome came out on top...

Nah, we're all Fx users here. I use Fx 4 on my Windows box, which I barely ever use. My main (Debian) machine runs Iceweasel.

ReputationRep:
    Most universities won't let you install new browsers, or they'd be overrun by students installing all sorts of crap on their computers. You just have to deal with whatever outdated version of IE they're peddling.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like Chrome, nor does anyone else here. In fact, I don't understand why so many people seem to like it - it's just shiny Google-ness. And the tests of Chrome against Fx, IE, and Opera were all run by Google... wonder why Chrome came out on top...

Nah, we're all Fx users here. I use Fx 4 on my Windows box, which I barely ever use. My main (Debian) machine runs Iceweasel.
    That's why I like it :ahee:

But I find it easier to use than FF. FF is too much like IE - too cluttered (at least when I used it). I like my web browsers to be clean, simple but powerful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    Welcome to the year 2010, where Microsoft can't make a decent internet browser, MP3 player or smartphone platform.
    :rofl:
    (I assume this is a joke? Never too sure in tech)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    :rofl:
    (I assume this is a joke? Never too sure in tech)
    Whilst I did find the Zune rather awesome, I'm going to use its market-share of the MP3 player industry as evidence that it has fallen flat on its face. As for the Windows Phone platform, I don't think anybody with brains would opt for Windows above the iPhone and Android platforms. And Internet Explorer speaks for itself. No one with two braincells to rub together would willingly inflict IE on themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    9 looks OK.
    I've not used 9 yet but I've heard good things about it.

In terms of Schools/Colleges/Uni's quite often there are bits of business software that require old versions of IE to work. It get's even more interesting when you find there are core apps that require IE6 and then other core apps that require IE 7 or better.

Or the apps that tell you your browser is too old and that you need to upgrade when you're running a higher version than they list (and obviously test for)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.