Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Which university has a better student life, is better for Economics, and whose job prospects are graduating are greater?

ReputationRep:
    I would imagine Bristol has far better student life as the university is integrated into the city which offers everything a student could want. In contrast, Warwick is a Campus uni described as a "bubble" a few miles out from anywhere, which I imagine also has its good points!

Not sure about Economics though
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I would choose Bristol.

Warwick's department is ranked as better, and is more targeted by certain employers, but Bristol's department is still strong, and for most jobs, if you were going to get the job, you would get it whether you're at Bristol or Warwick.

The reason I would choose Bristol is due to the course structure, the location, and the atmosphere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    I would choose Bristol.

Warwick's department is ranked as better, and is more targeted by certain employers, but Bristol's department is still strong, and for most jobs, if you were going to get the job, you would get it whether you're at Bristol or Warwick.

The reason I would choose Bristol is due to the course structure, the location, and the atmosphere.
    Hows your course?

ReputationRep:
    Bristol doesn't even get a look in.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Well straight away it's campus vs city uni, so essentially that should dictate your decision (a fair amount). Because I am pro campus I'd choose Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    I would choose Bristol.

Really?

I have a friend who loves Warwick, which just goes to show uni is what you make of it. The part about the job is true I guess, but as I say below I would still take the one that is more regarded.

The course structure argument is interesting though. What is it that you like more about the Bristol course? (I have not compared the two, will do later)

At OP: personally I would always go for the more reputable one. and in my eyes warwick is quite a way better for economcis actually. so I think you need to decide whether or not you agree with the view that Bristol would provide you with a better social life, if it does by how much, and then how much you actually care about the social life (versus academics).

Either way, I would say they are both great unis.

ReputationRep:
    if you want purely on enjoyment then bristol. in terms of jobs warwick is better but you can do it with bristol just have to try a little harder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBrightShadow)
    if you want purely on enjoyment then bristol. in terms of jobs warwick is better but you can do it with bristol just have to try a little harder
    How does Bristol/Warwick compare to Oxford/LSE in terms of job prospects? Do you still have big investment banks (Morgan Stanley etc) headhunting at Bristol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anradu)
    How does Bristol/Warwick compare to Oxford/LSE in terms of job prospects? Do you still have big investment banks (Morgan Stanley etc) headhunting at Bristol?
    the big six are prime unis for IB recruiters...oxbridge,imperial,u cl, LSE and Warwick
    bristol are with the likes of durham and such. you will get banks coming for instance MS and UBS do some networking events there. cant recall GS coming ot bristol though but you will get to meet them all at their career fairs.

ReputationRep:
    Bear in mind that Bristol is crazily competitive. I was looking at Philosophy and Economics there, and there's a massive applicant to place ratio.

ReputationRep:
    Warwick has a better economics department, and as importantly a bigger one. Bristol has about 40 places for undergrad economics. Most of them could be gone by now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anradu)
    Which university has a better student life, is better for Economics, and whose job prospects are graduating are greater?
    Student Life: Bristol
    Economics:Generally speaking Warwick.
    Career: Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milkytea)
    Bear in mind that Bristol is crazily competitive. I was looking at Philosophy and Economics there, and there's a massive applicant to place ratio.
    They also have odd criteria to student acceptance also.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    Either way, I would say they are both great unis.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SPMS)
    They also have odd criteria to student acceptance also.
    Oh right... any idea what they are? It doesn't seem to say anything in particular on their website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milkytea)
    Oh right... any idea what they are? It doesn't seem to say anything in particular on their website.
    No one has any real idea, if you look at the TAELT 2011 it can link to what they say they look for, however I would take it with a pinch of salt. They have been known to reject oxbridge, lse and ucl offers, yet accept people who just got into Birmingham and have been rejected by everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    I think Bristol just has a very high volume of applicants compared to places (50 to 1) so their decisions are going to be weird. Also on the open day, they said that Further Maths and a humanity are preferred which is an odd combination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mdawg)
    they said that Further Maths and a humanity are preferred which is an odd combination.
    It really isn't.

Other (top) unis have this as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    It really isn't.

Other (top) unis have this as well.
    Not sure about a humanity, but yes, Further Maths is widely known to be preferred by everyone. It's certainly not a dealbreaker though, and only Cambridge have it as mandatory.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.