Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What age do you hope to pay off your student loan by? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ihope by 28

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I have no idea. I've got a total of £21,000 student debt, so it'll be a long, long time before it's paid back...

ReputationRep:
    30 at least.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose we'll get a bunch of willy waving "I'm earning a wad" posts now.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Is it true that if you havent paid it all off after 25 years it gets written off? Ive heard this but not sure if its a myth or not.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not currently planning payments. It depends a lot on what happens after university with jobs blah blah blah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tbm)
    Is it true that if you havent paid it all off after 25 years it gets written off? Ive heard this but not sure if its a myth or not.
    I think that only happens if you haven't had a job which pays over £15,000 pa in all that time.

I'll have about £8,000 debt at the end of uni, so 27 ish?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tbm)
    No, it's true. It gets written off automatically after 25 years no matter what.

Personally I don't care when I pay back my loan....it'll be whenever it gets paid back. I'm not going to make voluntary payments or anything when I could spend the money on something better, so meh. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I don't care either. It'll probably not be paid off? I have no idea. I took out full loan, so it'll take a while!

ReputationRep:
    Can I just ask, does anyone who has already graduated and is paying back their loan ever login to their SFE account on the website? I logged in today out of curiosity as I havent received a statement for a while and it says no payments have been made to my account - ever - despite the fact Ive been making payments from my salary for the last 3 years. Is this just a glitch with the online system or do I need to be worried??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tbm)
    Can I just ask, does anyone who has already graduated and is paying back their loan ever login to their SFE account on the website? I logged in today out of curiosity as I havent received a statement for a while and it says no payments have been made to my account - ever - despite the fact Ive been making payments from my salary for the last 3 years. Is this just a glitch with the online system or do I need to be worried??
    You should have had annual staements. Get in touch with them!

ReputationRep:
    I think I'll be just about 36.

I think I initially had around 12k to pay off but didn't pay anything for a couple of years, so I think after a few years of paying I'm down to 11k ish and am paying £120 a month off now (I'm 27). I think that with increments in pay and inflation I should be hopefully fully paid off by the age of 36?? One of those things I try not to think about too much. Will be nice to see the pay slip without it though!

Good luck to all the 9k ers!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.