Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What are the arguments for and against student fees? Watch

ReputationRep:
    There was a joke I saw that goes like this:

I have been the owner of a small business for 15 years and would like to borrow £20,000 for further expansion. However, it must satisfy the following conditions.

1. I must have a repayment holiday for 3, in some cases 4, years.
    2. If I do not benefit from my original investment I should pay nothing.
    3. I should only pay back the loan when I am fully able to do so- i.e. earning over £21,000 a year.
    4. This should be at a rate of 0.25% a year.
    5. If I wind down the business early, I should have the rest of the loan waived.

Oh, and one final thing. If the bank agrees to these terms, I will smash through their windows in protest at the unfairness of it all.

And no one has been able to come up with a decent come-back to this. What would you argue is the actual problem with the rise in student fees?

ReputationRep:
    People are protesting more about the cuts to education than to the increase in fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    People are protesting more about the cuts to education than to the increase in fees.
    Correction.
    People who have done research are protesting against the cuts to Uni education.
    Idiots are protesting the increase in fees.

ReputationRep:
    Reduce deficit, make students pay more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phillipsherman)
    There was a joke I saw that goes like this:

And no one has been able to come up with a decent come-back to this. What would you argue is the actual problem with the rise in student fees?
    That's because there's no issue with fee rises.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History-Student)
    That's because there's no issue with fee rises.
    maybe not for you, but like it has been said some people are protesting against the cuts and some are actually protesting against the fees themselves

ReputationRep:
    Why would you NOT want to protest again fee rises? what makes more logical sense; yourself paying 3k or 9k?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.J.A.)
    Why would you NOT want to protest again fee rises? what makes more logical sense; yourself paying 3k or 9k?
    6k not 9k..9k is only for "exceptional circumstances"
    also, you will be paying it after your degree when youre earning over £21,000.
    So essentially its the same system we have now, just I guess you'll be paying it back for a longer time..

ReputationRep:
    21k is a lot of money... For that kind of money I could pay for plastic surgery to sort my husband's man boobs out!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.