The Student Room Group

Rejection from Cambridge for 2011

Scroll to see replies

Ah well now its time for a normal uni like everyone else.
Original post by qua
I am. I really really really really want to get into Cambridge. "You'll be happier wherever you go" does not apply for me, since I am already at university and you can trust me, if you know Cambridge you are not really happy wherever you go (or are atm)... So yeah. I'm hesitating, though, as being rejected again would somehow double the pain. Also, the fees...

Where do you go to university, Germany?
Reply 182
Ah, rejection - PPS/King's. Initially my only feelings on this were *Feels suckish and inadequate and desperately needs to kick things. Repeatedly.* But now I'm sort of getting over it. And I think rejection was actually a good thing, because I was too focused on it, anyway. You can't let Oxbridge define you as a person.
Original post by evieyang
wow,800 on CR, sounds so unbelievable! my sat can never be improved...
i believe you can get in to some great US unis^^ it's such a pity Cam rejected you..

i applied to Bryn Mawr College in ED II and Mount Holyoke College in RD.

Aw, I'm sorry. At least you're done with them, right? My math score hurt me the most, I think; it's higher now, but it was in the high 400s when I submitted my Cambridge app.

OH YAY BRYN MAWR! One of my closest friends is applying there; it's her dream school. I hope you both get in! :biggrin: I'm applying to Holyoke, too, but Wellesley is the one I want. Seven Sisters unite, y/y?

Original post by kilowattjester
Ah well now its time for a normal uni like everyone else.

LOL. Exactly how I thought of it.

Original post by pink giggle
omg. can i actually do this?
cos i found out through email, i'm still waiting for the letter to arrive - which will be like double rejection, and i don't want to be rejected for the third time through ucas. :tongue:

I got the triple rejection. It was indeed as painful as you think it is. (>_<)
I applied to Emma for Geography and I've still heard nothing :/
I'm fairly sure I've not got an offer, I just wanna know so I can chill out and work towards my other offers.
Reply 185
So.. I'm joining the rejectees now..
I was just aknowledged by email that I'm rejected for Law at Christ's.
It's kinda a relief now, that I know. I can concentrate properly on my studies, hah, I was soo absent-minded last few days.

Original post by qua
I am. I really really really really want to get into Cambridge. "You'll be happier wherever you go" does not apply for me, since I am already at university and you can trust me, if you know Cambridge you are not really happy wherever you go (or are atm)... So yeah. I'm hesitating, though, as being rejected again would somehow double the pain. Also, the fees...

I feel just like you!
I'll probably apply next year, also.
(By the way, you have a great taste in music, as one can learn from your signature :biggrin:.)

After being rejected from Cambridge, I'm not sure whether I want to go to any of my other university choices.. I'm feeling that it's going to be a lot of pain for me to study in England, but not to be in Cambridge, despite that there are a lot of wonderful universities..
So for now, I'm going to take university exams in my country (gap year is very unpopular here *sigh*), start here and apply again for the next round.. Or, well, for a postgrad. But still.. It's so awful that I felt Cambridge like my *only* right place to study. :redface:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 186
Original post by RechtsDerIsar
I am very sorry to hear this. Probably going to share the same fate.
Could you please share your subject/college. What bundesland are you from?

I applied to read Computer Science (with Mathematics) at St Edmund's College (it was actually an open application, but given that I will be 21 next year, I was assigned to one of the mature colleges).

Took my Abitur in Baden-Wuerttemberg.

Original post by jaklargerne
Also got rejected for NatSci. 1.1 average in the Abitur doesn't mean anything though.

Probably not. But according to their website it's their typical offer (which doesn't guarantee that you get in, of course).
Before A*s were invented, something like 36000 people a year got AAA at A level. At that time, the typical A level offer from Cambridge was AAA.

Each year Cambridge admit around 3500 undergraduates, of which getting on for 20% are from outside the UK.

So fewer than 10% of UK students with AAA go to Cambridge.

So having the grades that make up Cambridge's "standard offer" for any qualification is by no means a guarantee that you will get an offer.
Reply 188
That may be true for A-levels, but there are less than 1000 students each year in Germany that achieve the grades Qua had and they didn't even pool him which is a bit unfair when you take into account that British people with worse grades must be pooled regardless of their interview performance.
Original post by Habek
That may be true for A-levels, but there are less than 1000 students each year in Germany that achieve the grades Qua had and they didn't even pool him which is a bit unfair when you take into account that British people with worse grades must be pooled regardless of their interview performance.

I would say English students rather than British (or those that do A levels). I live in Scotland, got rejected with grade also quite rare :frown:
Original post by qua

Original post by jenesais
So.. I'm joining the rejectees now..
I was just aknowledged by email that I'm rejected for Law at Christ's.
It's kinda a relief now, that I know. I can concentrate properly on my studies, hah, I was soo absent-minded last few days.

I feel just like you!
I'll probably apply next year, also.
(By the way, you have a great taste in music, as one can learn from your signature :biggrin:.)

After being rejected from Cambridge, I'm not sure whether I want to go to any of my other university choices.. I'm feeling that it's going to be a lot of pain for me to study in England, but not to be in Cambridge, despite that there are a lot of wonderful universities..
So for now, I'm going to take university exams in my country (gap year is very unpopular here *sigh*), start here and apply again for the next round.. Or, well, for a postgrad. But still.. It's so awful that I felt Cambridge like my *only* right place to study. :redface:

I'm also thinking of reapplying, depending on what Warwick and LSE says. To hell with the fees. Maybe we should start a club? :tongue:
Original post by 24craigour
I would say English students rather than British (or those that do A levels). I live in Scotland, got rejected with grade also quite rare :frown:

Sorry, I was being lazy.

Replace "British" with English, Welsh and Northern Irish.
If I get 4 A*s, need to do A LOT of work though, I may apply. I have to say the new fee system isn't that bad. £9000 a year, but with better pay back options, or I may do my Masters at Cam if they let me.
Original post by chaz1992
If I get 4 A*s, need to do A LOT of work though, I may apply. I have to say the new fee system isn't that bad. £9000 a year, but with better pay back options, or I may do my Masters at Cam if they let me.

They haven't decided what fee yet, have they? It might be £8999 :tongue:. I agree with you though. I'll definitely reapply if LSE or Warwick doesn't give me an offer
Reply 194
Just got the email from Downing; don't feel too bad as I wasn't really expecting much. Disappointed not to be pooled though, thought my profile was good enough and that I'd done enough at the interview.

Life goes on, I'm very happy with my offer from UCL already and LSE have yet to reject me :smile:
When: Today when the post finally arrived at 12
How: Raced downstairs as soon as I heard letters come through the door, very thin (uh oh) letter hidden amongst the junk mail
What for: MML (French and German)
College: Emmanuel
Emotions: At first not many, as I was expecting a rejection. I'm not too disappointed - I'd already decided that, though very pretty, Cambridge wasn't for me because I don't think I would enjoy working that hard. Also I have an offer from Durham, so it means I can go there :smile: Felt a bit disheartened when I had a look on the official outcome thread and saw all the happy offer-holders but it's nice to know others are in the same boat!
Why: I reckon my interviews didn't go too well. French one was fun, but the German one was very average and the written test was probably appalling.
Reapply?: Nah, tuition fees! Don't think I would anyway really, I'm taking the view that it just wasn't meant to be!
Pooled, but just got the rejection email from King's saying that nobody fished me :frown: oh well, I'm still waiting on all of my other universities...
Reply 197
Got Rejected :frown: oh well I'll accept Southampton's Unconditional offer, but apply to Cambridge next year (for 2012) while studying at Southampton first year. I already have the equivalents of A*A*A and Im only 17.. and my personal statement got me unconditional offers within 2 weeks.
I may have lost the battle, but I haven't lost the war.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 198
Original post by aa1993
Got Rejected :frown: oh well I'll accept Southampton's Unconditional offer, but apply to Cambridge next year (for 2012) while studying at Southampton first year. I already have the equivalents of A*A*A and Im only 17.. and my personal statement got me unconditional offers within 2 weeks.
I may have lost the battle, but I haven't lost the war.

Is that wise? What if you make friends at Southampton, not to mention the wasted fees.

There's not much point settling for second best, you will never be happy.
Reply 199
Original post by ITrocks
Just got the email from Downing; don't feel too bad as I wasn't really expecting much. Disappointed not to be pooled though, thought my profile was good enough and that I'd done enough at the interview.

Life goes on, I'm very happy with my offer from UCL already and LSE have yet to reject me :smile:

If it makes you feel any better, the Director of Studies at Downing told me they had 100 applications for 6 places this year...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending