Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I ask this because personally, i'm doing a joint honors degree of Classical Studies and French, and ideas for the rest of my life - few!

So i wondered what you TSR-ers were planning on doing with your degree, what form of job you wanted to go into, or if you were just as clueless as me!

ReputationRep:
    You can do pretty much anything with Classics- I went to a talk at the Cambridge open day and the woman speaking said "I used to say you could do anything with Classics except become a doctor, but one of my former students has just done that so I can't even say that anymore".
    Anyways, personally, I want to go into teaching, however much people seem to be trying to scare me off!

ReputationRep:
    I really have no idea. The next Mary Beard?

ReputationRep:
    As Indiana Jones :colondollar:

Seriously, I'd like to go into something related but it's all quite hard to get into. Careers for historians are often taken up by people with immense passion for it and stick with it until retirement, so there isn't much oppertunity. Although, I was talking to someone who has a friend who had a Classical Civ. degree from Kent and was hired on the spot as a curator's assistant and researcher for a local museum and is now involved with all sorts of projects. It's all about networking and getting a bit lucky, it seems.

So a more practical look on things? Um, maybe something involved with the media. I saw an interview with someone high up in the BBC (ages ago, can't remember names or where I found it, haha, sorry) saying that he'd 'hire a graduate with a degree in classics or history over a media graduate any day'. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I am sorry I can't be more original, but at the minute I am considering teaching. Otherwise I'd quite like to go into (copy) editing. Anything that will enable me to wield a red pen, basically

ReputationRep:
    In debt and working in a museum maybe? That'd be nice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.