Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I live in the Nottingham/Derby area at the moment however I'm considering applying to the Uni of Nottingham because it's a top uni and I know the area etc and think I'd enjoy studying there. I was discussing this with someone yesterday and they said if I already live around the area (I'm about 30min drive from Nottingham city center) then I am unlikely to get accomodation because I can stay at home however I want to move out to live on my own and get independence. Is this true about the accomodation (I doubt) but wanted to be sure.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if the university has policy about this, but I know people in halls who live in Nottingham so it's possible

ReputationRep:
    I live in Nottingham and know of people in Uni of Nottingham halls who don't live too far away. You might not get your first choice of halls but you should get some accomodation

ReputationRep:
    guaranteed accomodation for all first year student, I believe.
    That's what they said anyway.

ReputationRep:
    No distance limitations whatsoever.

You have as much chance as anyone of getting your room type preference.

ReputationRep:
    IMPORTANT UPDATE FOR 2011/12 APPLICANTS

The University of Nottingham will no longer be offering a choice of hall.

When completing the application form you will be able to indicate a preference of site (i.e. University Park, Broadgate Park...)

you will also be able to indicate a preference of roomtype (i.e. en-suite, studio, single study...)

you will no longer be able to choose a specific block or hall (i.e. Hugh Stewart, Cripps, Madison, Melton...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrenLee)
    IMPORTANT UPDATE FOR 2011/12 APPLICANTS

The University of Nottingham will no longer be offering a choice of hall.

When completing the application form you will be able to indicate a preference of site (i.e. University Park, Broadgate Park...)

you will also be able to indicate a preference of roomtype (i.e. en-suite, studio, single study...)

you will no longer be able to choose a specific block or hall (i.e. Hugh Stewart, Cripps, Madison, Melton...)
    I always thought this would just be creating unnecessary burden on whoever ended up having to allocate students to halls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex-hs)
    I always thought this would just be creating unnecessary burden on whoever ended up having to allocate students to halls
    Yeah I remember you saying that at the time.

No one has actually given us a reason why we've gone back to the old way of doing things though. These things just seem to cycle around again and again...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.