Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If the Police went on strike during a big protest... Watch

ReputationRep:
    ... what would happen?

I can imagine there must be some police (or perhaps many police?) who empathise with the concerns of protesting students, so what would happen if they decided they wanted to support them and not stop them protesting?
    The police could join them!
    Would the other, tory supporting, police arrest them??

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they are legally allowed to strike.

ReputationRep:
    The police can't go on strike.

ReputationRep:
    I wondered that after I posted.

Gutted!

ReputationRep:
    Stop being so naive and childish. The police get paid a hefty sum for what they do.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing. The protest would be shorter in duration and alot more peaceful without the cops kettling people and generally being thuggish apes.

ReputationRep:
    Police Act 1996 < prohibits officers from taking part in strike action.

ReputationRep:
    The Police can't strike.
    If they could, I would imagine that the army would come in.

ReputationRep:
    The protests would be more peaceful without the cops there instigating violence. That fire extinguisher? No cops means no one to aim at, so he wouldn't have thrown it.

You say police aren't allowed to strike, but what if they did? I'm not allowed to skip work, but if enough people do it my boss can't touch me. If all the police (or enough of them) went on strike, the government's hardly going to fire all of them and try to train up that many people again in a week.

ReputationRep:
    They can't strike.

ReputationRep:
    They'd b fired I think they're not allowed to strike

ReputationRep:
    Police can't strike duh
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by mdr)
    ... what would happen?

I can imagine there must be some police (or perhaps many police?) who empathise with the concerns of protesting students, so what would happen if they decided they wanted to support them and not stop them protesting?
    The police could join them!
    Would the other, tory supporting, police arrest them??
    Police are not allowed to strike. But in case they did it is most likely the army would be used.

ReputationRep:
    Police dont have the right to strike + the army would likely be called in if worest came to the worest

ReputationRep:
    BUT WHAT IF THE POLICE AND THE AR-no.

These situations would not arise.

ReputationRep:
    Parliament getting attacked... Millbank getting attacked again, some mindless protestors attacking just about anything around them cos they're just bored

But the army coming instead, the TA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    The protests would be more peaceful without the cops there instigating violence. That fire extinguisher? No cops means no one to aim at, so he wouldn't have thrown it.

You say police aren't allowed to strike, but what if they did? I'm not allowed to skip work, but if enough people do it my boss can't touch me. If all the police (or enough of them) went on strike, the government's hardly going to fire all of them and try to train up that many people again in a week.
    Yeah, and that gun I'm pointing at your head and about to shoot? No you means no one to aim it at. Point is, it's still illegal to be pointing guns around or invading buildings and throwing fire extinguishers around. Someone has to be there to stop it, that's why we have police.

I am sure the police hate the protesters and dread going to work when they have to police one, there is no way any of them will sympathise with that kind of behaviour. Especially when they're paying for your tuition fees out their tax.

You want a peaceful protest and public/police support? It's that simple; act civilised and not like chavs. These protests have had the opposite effect. They just don't get it. I hope the fees are raised to £9k just to teach people that this type of protest does not work. If the government caves in they will be giving word that violent protests are the way forward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonged.)
    Nothing. The protest would be shorter in duration and alot more peaceful without the cops kettling people and generally being thuggish apes.
    While they aren't allowed to strike if they were, that is exactly what would happen.

Don't understand why you got negged, but I totally agree with you.

ReputationRep:
    The world would end as we know it. True story.

ReputationRep:
    The army would step in I'm sure, as they do for fire fighter strikes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.