Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gym Gloves? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

What's people's thoughts on using gloves in the gym?

Not for everything. Just Dead-lifting actually.

The calluses on my hands are so fricking annoying and I have soft skin so my hands don't seem to be getting any tougher.

Thanks,

GQ.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GQ.)
    Hey everyone,

1: What's people's thoughts on using gloves in the gym?

2: Not for everything. Just Dead-lifting actually.

3: The calluses on my hands are so fricking annoying and I have soft skin so my hands don't seem to be getting any tougher.

Thanks,

GQ.
    1: Pointless
    2: Terrible idea
    3: Stick with it they will toughen up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattGriff)
    1: Pointless
    2: Terrible idea
    3: Stick with it they will toughen up
    Ok cheers mate. I'm not disputing your advice but can I ask why it is a terrible idea?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GQ.)
    Ok cheers mate. I'm not disputing your advice but can I ask why it is a terrible idea?

Thanks.
    Gloves actually make it harder to grip the bar, they increase the circumference of the bar you’re trying to grip, distort feelings of balance and can move on the hand mid lift making it very dangerous and can cause potential injury.

Chalk and skin was good enough for most lifters always until fad companies brought out these rubbish gloves.

ReputationRep:
    Gloves actually make it harder to grip the bar, they increase the circumference of the bar you’re trying to grip, distort feelings of balance and can move on the hand mid lift making it very dangerous and can cause potential injury.

Chalk and skin was good enough for most lifters always until fad companies brought out these rubbish gloves.
    Thanks alot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GQ.)
    Hey everyone,

What's people's thoughts on using gloves in the gym?

Not for everything. Just Dead-lifting actually.

The calluses on my hands are so fricking annoying and I have soft skin so my hands don't seem to be getting any tougher.

Thanks,

GQ.

I'm the same. I only use gloves on deadlifts and I use Nike ones with leather grip.

They were about 16pounds...

ReputationRep:
    i used to have loads off calluses and i switched to gloves in June. i immediately found that i could squeeze an extra couple of reps out with gloves than without. and if anything i felt grip had improved.
    admittedly i have never tried using chalk on my hands, but from my experience i'd recomend gloves.

ReputationRep:
    If you only want them for deadlifts why don't you use some straps?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Threepigs)
    I'm the same. I only use gloves on deadlifts and I use Nike ones with leather grip.

They were about 16pounds...
    You could've bought about 8 bags of chalk for that.

Chalk >> gloves

ReputationRep:
    Gloves are pants, potentially dangerous and for people who was up and have fairy soft hands! Whats next, you gonna be telling plasterers to wear lifting gloves to stop callauses and blisters?

ReputationRep:
    Gloves are for pussies. Don't you want your hands to look like this?

ReputationRep:
    OMG a picture of a torn palm - given the guy pulls 430 raw and the guys on here can't even pull 230 I bet the concern is the same ;-)

Quick, all bricklyers and manual workers must also wear gym gloves too, why would any man want rough hands, I mean eeewww - book me a manicure now!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    OMG a picture of a torn palm - given the guy pulls 430 raw and the guys on here can't even pull 230 I bet the concern is the same ;-)

Quick, all bricklyers and manual workers must also wear gym gloves too, why would any man want rough hands, I mean eeewww - book me a manicure now!!!!!
    buts the womens dont like em rough..or do they? >_>

ReputationRep:

Wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HARRY PUTAH)
    buts the womens dont like em rough..or do they? >_>
    I wear gym gloves cos I like having soft hands (no homo)

ReputationRep:
    Don't use gloves. You are better off using liquid chalk or something.

ReputationRep:
    Women who like men like rough hands in my experience.

If a woman is after you becuase of your baby soft hands. Hands are designed to get firmer and tougher with work.

Plus given this is forum based mainly around weight it is worth noting all the best lifters in the world do not use gloves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u4m1r)
    Wrong
    Given you hitched 220 I am betting you can't pull 230 properly

ReputationRep:
    Given you hitched 220 I am betting you can't pull 230 properly
    I admit my form is weird, I locked my legs out too early but the bar didn't move downwards so technically its not a hitch?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u4m1r)
    I admit my form is weird, I locked my legs out too early but the bar didn't move downwards so technically its not a hitch?
    Its not just about the bar moving downwards, your hips go high then drop again to lock the weight out, this is the most common form of hitch and would be a deffinate red light in competition terms.

Its basically a double movement.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 3, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.