Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why were British Politicians discussing internal politics with American Diplomats ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Why do the Americans know about all the rivalry and tensions within the Labour Party, and the Lib Dem Party,they also seem to know what policies the parties would pursue if they won , some of which the electorate were never told. Even the Media in this country did not know about.

Politicians ****ging each fellow Brits in the presence of Foreign Diplomats is wrong

The WikiLeak files cleary show junior to senior members of the 3 parties were happily sharing potentiality embarrassing information about their party leaders or oppositions politicians.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    America (and many other countries including our selves) have an intrest who is governing any given country. We are one of the most powerful countries in the world and a very close ally of America they have an intrest who what the main politcal parties are doing and how it will affect them. No doubt we do the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    America (and many other countries including our selves) have an intrest who is governing any given country. We are one of the most powerful countries in the world and a very close ally of America they have an intrest who what the main politcal parties are doing and how it will affect them. No doubt we do the same
    No, I doubt Sarah Palin is talking about Barack Obama to the British Ambassador
    The Americans get this information so they can manipulate it to their advantage, leak some of the information when it suits them or to twist the arm of a politicians. We are not a close ally of America, america has no ally apart from Israel just a bunch of chess pieces.You know what the americans think of British Troops in Afghanistan. America has an interest in UK politics , you can get information by watching the news, but British Politicians seem in competition to see who can give the most information about Party Leaders or a Minister of future policy. why should the conservatives share their future policys with Diplomats before the Electorate ?. They were not even in government yet they couldn't wait to be of some use to uncle sam.

Shame on Unpatriotic Mps
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James10000)
    The Americans get this information so they can manipulate it to their advantage, leak some of the information when it suits them or to twist the arm of a politicians. We are not a close ally of America, america has no ally apart from Israel just a bunch of chess pieces. America has an interest yes, you can get information by watching the news, but British Politicians seem in competition to see who can give the most information about Party Leaders or a Minister of future policy. why should the conservatives share their future policys with Diplomats before the Electorate ?. They were not even in government yet they couldn't wait to be of some use to uncle sam.

Shame on Unpatriotic Mps
    These are American diplomatic cables so you can't really tell me that a few Repub or Democrat senators or congressmen talk to our ambasidor. In fact its highly likely they do as its part of the ambasidors job to know in detail the politcial situation in the country he is in

ReputationRep:
    The Americans get this information so they can manipulate it to their advantage, leak some of the information when it suits them or to twist the arm of a politicians. We are not a close ally of America, america has no ally apart from Israel just a bunch of chess pieces.You know what the americans think of British Troops in Afghanistan. America has an interest in UK politics , you can get information by watching the news, but British Politicians seem in competition to see who can give the most information about Party Leaders or a Minister of future policy. why should the conservatives share their future policys with Diplomats before the Electorate ?. They were not even in government yet they couldn't wait to be of some use to uncle sam.

Shame on Unpatriotic Mps
    Then you'd be wrong. Diplomats (of all nations through the centuries) have always made small talk with host officials. Building up a detailed profile makes it easier for your own politicians to find common ground or understand where another head of state is coming from. It also helps you understand what is going on in other countries and how that might affect your own interests - for example, it was in Britain's interest for Bill Clinton to stay in office so it was vital we knew what might become of the Lewinsky scandal.

It's two way street: host officials may want to curry favour with you (it strengthens their own position if they're seen to have good international support) but also understand where you're coming from and how that might affect their plans.

Basically this simply oils the wheels of international relations.

If you don't believe me, just ask British ambassadors such as Christopher Meyer or the unnamed official who told Hillary Clinton "you should see what we say about you".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninja-lewis)
    Then you'd be wrong. Diplomats (of all nations through the centuries) have always made small talk with host officials. Building up a detailed profile makes it easier for your own politicians to find common ground or understand where another head of state is coming from. It also helps you understand what is going on in other countries and how that might affect your own interests - for example, it was in Britain's interest for Bill Clinton to stay in office so it was vital we knew what might become of the Lewinsky scandal.

It's two way street: host officials may want to curry favour with you (it strengthens their own position if they're seen to have good international support) but also understand where you're coming from and how that might affect their plans.

Basically this simply oils the wheels of international relations.

If you don't believe me, just ask British ambassadors such as Christopher Meyer or the unnamed official who told Hillary Clinton "you should see what we say about you".
    How was it in the British interest that the US treasury should prepare for a financially flaky government? Above all, the governor is expected to be apolitical and to stick to monetary policy, not interfere in treasury fiscal questions.

ReputationRep:
    Why wouldn't she? She wrote a ****ing book about it... everyone knows her opinion on Barack Obama, why wouldn't she tell an ambassador? Everyone already knows... its hardly a secret.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Why wouldn't she? She wrote a ****ing book about it... everyone knows her opinion on Barack Obama, why wouldn't she tell an ambassador? Everyone already knows... its hardly a secret.
    I gave that as an example , a better example is
    I doubt Republicans in Congress have briefed the British Ambassador on their legislative plans for next 2 years or whether they plan to work with obama or gridlock

the ambassador has use his own political analyses, he doesnt have the luxury of primary evidence, america dosnt care about Britain

3 mid ranking senators can demand a meeting with a newly elected British PM is all you need to know

ReputationRep:
    How was it in the British interest that the US treasury should prepare for a financially flaky government? Above all, the governor is expected to be apolitical and to stick to monetary policy, not interfere in treasury fiscal questions.
    The point is that it is in the US interest to know that. If you read some of the other cables you'll see the US embassy staff passing on information to us too.

Frankly I don't see why the Governor of the BoE should not warn the Prime Minister/Leader of the Opposition and Chancellor/Shadow Chancellor if their proposals are not good enough. Considerably he was fairly welcoming when the Coalition entered office in May, it sounds like the Tories got the message and had more detailed proposals ready to go, even if they were not released during the election.

I gave that as an example , a better example is
    I doubt Republicans in Congress have briefed the British Ambassador on their legislative plans for next 2 years or whether they plan to work with obama or gridlock

the ambassador has use his own political analyses, he doesnt have the luxury of primary evidence, america dosnt care about Britain

3 mid ranking senators can demand a meeting with a newly elected British PM is all you need to know
    2 years ago a memo by the British ambassador in Washington, talking about the Obama campaign was leaked. It was clear that he got his information from senior US political figures on both sides.

For countries like US, Britain, China, France, Germany and so on, the role of embassies and consulates is develop contacts (whether hosting parties in the embassy or visiting pubs need Westminster etc) that enable them to take the temperature of the host country and shape the host country's opinion of us.

It happens around the world by pretty much every major nation every day.

ReputationRep:
    The difference between the US & the rest is the US got caught...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninja-lewis)
    The point is that it is in the US interest to know that. If you read some of the other cables you'll see the US embassy staff passing on information to us too.

Frankly I don't see why the Governor of the BoE should not warn the Prime Minister/Leader of the Opposition and Chancellor/Shadow Chancellor if their proposals are not good enough. Considerably he was fairly welcoming when the Coalition entered office in May, it sounds like the Tories got the message and had more detailed proposals ready to go, even if they were not released during the election.
    I agree but my point is he should not shares those concerns with foreign diplomats

embassies of all countries gather information about the political environment of the host country, what surprises me is how keen Politicians were to gain favour with America.

If in a Developed country like Britain politicians are so fickle, from afghanistan to iraq inquiry america got its way every time . Its no surprise Developing countries are full of US puppets

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.