Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello. I have got this problem here that i cant crack. The first thing that gets me stuck is finding resistnace for capacitor and inductor. Rc=1/jwC (dont know the frequancy to find w) and same for Rl=jwL. I am a bit confused in where should i start. All i managed was to try node analysis and KVR which gave me too many unknowns...

the problem goes like this
    1.The circuit has been in steady state for a long time before the switch closes at t=0.

a.) Find the value of the capacitor voltage(Vc) and the current through the inductor(Il) just after switch closes at t=0.

b.)What are the final values of Vc and Il, after the transient have died down?
    I believe Vc=0 but i am unsure about the Il...

(Original post by Patrick.Mccullen)
      Hello. I have got this problem here that i cant crack. The first thing that gets me stuck is finding resistnace for capacitor and inductor. Rc=1/jwC (dont know the frequancy to find w) and same for Rl=jwL. I am a bit confused in where should i start. All i managed was to try node analysis and KVR which gave me too many unknowns...

the problem goes like this
      1.The circuit has been in steady state for a long time before the switch closes at t=0.

a.) Find the value of the capacitor voltage(Vc) and the current through the inductor(Il) just after switch closes at t=0.

b.)What are the final values of Vc and Il, after the transient have died down?
      I believe Vc=0 but i am unsure about the Il...

I think the way to do this one is to say that when the switch is first thrown, the increase in current dI/dt is very large. Put f=infinity.
      When the circuit reaches a steady state, f=0.
      It's a case of two extremes. There is no stable frequency.
      It also simplifies the maths.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Stonebridge)
      I think the way to do this one is to say that when the switch is first thrown, the increase in current dI/dt is very large. Put f=infinity.
      When the circuit reaches a steady state, f=0.
      It's a case of two extremes. There is no stable frequency.
      It also simplifies the maths.
      ahhhh Thank you!

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.