Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I can do 50 metres first time on front crawl and then 25 metres each time before needing to rest. If I swim on my back then I can maintain doing 50 metres before needing to rest. My speed is really slow and I can't seem to make myself place my head inside the water so I'm always swimming with it above the water. Can't do other swimming techniques yet.

I have tried swimming for more than 10 days now but can't seem to more than 50 metres without stopping. Any tips? My aim is 200 yards in length.

ReputationRep:
    take some swimming lessons

ReputationRep:
    Since all I know is that your head is out of the water the only advice I can give is to have the water level at the middle of your forehead with your head at 45 degree angle, similar to a cars headlights.

Without seeing you swim its pretty hard to help though

ReputationRep:
    Can't afford that and I don't want to keep going on as I am. I need some tips!

ReputationRep:
    Befriend a dog to teach you.

ReputationRep:
    swimming lessons cost like £3 a week, who can't afford that? Have one less pint a week, jeebus

ReputationRep:
    Well explain to me how you think you are going to be any good at swimming if you don't do it properly?

Get swimming lessons, because what you are doing is not the frontcrawl. Get lessons.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore all of the above - it's either wrong or unhelpful. Take a look at the following, and maybe think about downloading the app:

http://www.swimsmooth.com/

A picture (or video in this case) paints a thousand words.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.