Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need helping deciding whether to leave uni?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I was really apprehensive about leaving home and going to uni, but i did. For the first few weeks i hated it but i thought it had gotten better now. But the other day i realised i'd just been squishing down my feelings about it, and that really i didn't like it that much. I'm in canterbury and it's way too small for me, i have friends but no one that i properly click with, i haven't put any effort into my course. It seems a much better idea to quit and apply somewhere else next year when i'm in a better state of mind, and to go somewhere i like, but that makes me a quitter, and i've wasted a lot of money. What should i do? I seriously need help deciding.

ReputationRep:
    You need to identify exactly what it is that's making you miserable. Are you just homesick? In that case stick it out, you're going to have to leave home eventually. You say you've not been putting much effort into making friends or your course, maybe you should give it all a proper go before deciding to drop out. On the other hand, if you really don't like your course, try changing it, or if it really is the uni that's the problem, drop out and have a think about what you really want.

ReputationRep:
    If you're not happy, get out whilst you still have the chance to save yourself a bit of money.

I wasn't happy with my course at Royal Holloway and I'm glad I left because it opened up the opportunity for me to go somewhere else and do a course I prefer and that I'm better at.

Don't see it as you being a quitter, it was just a misinformed decision. You have another 6 weeks to get your UCAS application sorted out if you want to try a different course or university, and there's always clearing after that.

Whatever you do, do it for you and not what other people will think of you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.