Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A-Levels: Law degree @ Oxford, or PPE @ Oxford, which would look better? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

I'm currently in my AS year studying History, English Literature, Mathematics, Economics & Politics.

My subjects seem compatible for both of the degrees stated above, but which would be a better choice for?

- unrelated, but does anyone have any colleges at Oxford they would like to recommend, please?

Thank you in advance.

ReputationRep:
    what do you mean by.."which would look better"??Its not a haitcut you are talking about!

ReputationRep:
    Well, let me rephrase then. Just for you -_-

Which would be the better degree to take? Based on prestige and job availability afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    Both are very good degrees, it depends what sort of career you want to venture into. If you want to go into law, obviously law is the best option. Though, a degree in law can allow you to enter into various fields such as banking [I speak from experience]. PPE is also a good option, again you can venture into various careers with this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sub molecular)

Which would be the better degree to take? Based on prestige and job availability afterwards.
    I can tell you now that you're probably not oxford material if you're basing a 'better degree' on 'prestige' (lol) and job availability.

ReputationRep:
    Surely it depends on your interests. It's unlikely you'll do well if you choose a course just for it to look good on paper.

That said, PPE cos Law is shiit :borat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdfg0987)
    Surely it depends on your interests. It's unlikely you'll do well if you choose a course just for it to look good on paper.

That said, PPE cos Law is shiit :borat:
    Law if you want a career in law.

PPE if you have no defined direction :borat:

ReputationRep:

They're both good degrees. I think the main question that you should ask yourself is whether you want to study law or PPE for 3 years of your life.

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

I'm currently in my AS year studying History, English Literature, Mathematics, Economics & Politics.

My subjects seem compatible for both of the degrees stated above, but which would be a better choice for?

- unrelated, but does anyone have any colleges at Oxford they would like to recommend, please?

Thank you in advance.
    Wow I'm doing exactly the same subjects as you and have just been accepted for PPE at Oxford. I think both are equally as prestigious, so it goes on whether you want to spend 3 years studying one fairly dense subject or would prefer the creativity and greater flexibility PPE entails. Remember you can always do a law conversion later!

ReputationRep:
    If you plan to be a politician can I get the word in early and just call you a lying, selfish c*nt now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabisabi)
    Wow I'm doing exactly the same subjects as you and have just been accepted for PPE at Oxford. I think both are equally as prestigious, so it goes on whether you want to spend 3 years studying one fairly dense subject or would prefer the creativity and greater flexibility PPE entails. Remember you can always do a law conversion later!
    I am confused too between PPE and Law.How do you do a law conversion after PPE???
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bamustu)
    I am confused too between PPE and Law.How do you do a law conversion after PPE???
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graduate_Diploma_in_Law

ReputationRep:
    Thanks....
    But is is also possible to do PPE or anothe general course and then again do my second degree in Law??
    Is it common? and Is it a good option ,Employementwise ??? As I am not sure at this moment if I want to pursue Law
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Thanks....
    But is is also possible to do PPE or anothe general course and then again do my second degree in Law??
    Is it common? and Is it a good option ,Employementwise ??? As I am not sure at this moment if I want to pursue Law
    Well doing a second degree isn't normal. Most people can't fund it and there isn't really much point. If you want to do law after doing a degree that isn't law you are probably better off doing the diploma. Instead of spend another 3 years you spend one year and that gives you time to get a footing and two years experience.

Besides many law employers supposedly hire just as many non-law graduates from relevant degrees (such as PPE, history, etc.)

ReputationRep:
    OP, you should switch up your criteria for choosing the subject you wish to apply for. Any degree from Oxford is prestigious. The real questions are: what do you want to do post-graduation; and are you prepared to take the Law/PPE degree path to reach that goal?

If you're definitely keen to practice law, then take the law degree, and save money by not doing the GDL conversion course.

If you're not fussed about practicing law, then doing PPE is fine. In any case, the BA in Jurisprudence is a rigorous theoretical academic exercise in argument and analysis - it's not a vocational course.

On the flip side, most of what you study in Law is compulsory - you can only pick 2 options in your 3rd year. As far as I know, you can pick study options in PPE from your 2nd year.

Moreover, the modes of assessment vary. In Law, you take 3 exams in your first year, and 9 in your third year. There appears to be an assessed summer vac essay at the end of your 2nd year, though I'm not sure of the percentage weight in relation to the final grade. It must be a recent development, since that provision wasn't there when I started. But generally, the bulk of your Law degree is assessed on your exams.

On the other hand, in PPE you take 3 exams in your 1st year, and 8 in your final year - however, you can replace one of the papers with a thesis.

None of your first year exams count towards your final grade.

Keep in mind your options, should you want to do a Masters. A person with a law degree can go on to do a Masters' in Politics and International Relations - however, a PPEist cannot simply do a Masters in Law, without having studied the degree (or equivalent e.g. GDL) first.

Besides that, I'd recommend St Catz - it's a large modern college with a diverse student body and a thriving social life. It's practically next to the Social Science Library and the Law Faculty, so you won't have to trot far for lectures

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devolved-Alchemist)
    OP, you should switch up your criteria for choosing the subject you wish to apply for. Any degree from Oxford is prestigious. The real questions are: what do you want to do post-graduation; and are you prepared to take the Law/PPE degree path to reach that goal?

If you're definitely keen to practice law, then take the law degree, and save money by not doing the GDL conversion course.

If you're not fussed about practicing law, then doing PPE is fine. In any case, the BA in Jurisprudence is a rigorous theoretical academic exercise in argument and analysis - it's not a vocational course.

On the flip side, most of what you study in Law is compulsory - you can only pick 2 options in your 3rd year. As far as I know, you can pick study options in PPE from your 2nd year.

Moreover, the modes of assessment vary. In Law, you take 3 exams in your first year, and 9 in your third year. There appears to be an assessed summer vac essay at the end of your 2nd year, though I'm not sure of the percentage weight in relation to the final grade. It must be a recent development, since that provision wasn't there when I started. But generally, the bulk of your Law degree is assessed on your exams.

On the other hand, in PPE you take 3 exams in your 1st year, and 8 in your final year - however, you can replace one of the papers with a thesis.

None of your first year exams count towards your final grade.

Keep in mind your options, should you want to do a Masters. A person with a law degree can go on to do a Masters' in Politics and International Relations - however, a PPEist cannot simply do a Masters in Law, without having studied the degree (or equivalent e.g. GDL) first.

Besides that, I'd recommend St Catz - it's a large modern college with a diverse student body and a thriving social life. It's practically next to the Social Science Library and the Law Faculty, so you won't have to trot far for lectures
    Thanks a lot......

See,the problem is I am from India. And here if you wish to practice law the study system should be in either of the the 2 forms-

1.10+2+3+3 viz,after 12th standard one attains a degree that is BA/BSc for 3 years etc after which he enrolls for a law(LLB) course which lasts for 3 years
    OR
    10+2+5 viz ,after 12th standard one directly enrols in a law(LLB) course which lasts for 5 years.

The problem is that Law course in UK being of 3 or 4 years after the 12th standard rather than a 5 year course,would I be able to practice ?

Also could you tell me what is the duration of the GDL course.If it is three years then I could do PPE and then GDL.

OR you could have had experience with other Indian students who would have had studied law.

Besides all of these doubts are based on my fear of whether I would be employed if I graduate in Law from Oxford? Are the prospects good??? If so then I would go on with Law

Also culd you tell me the job prospects for PPE graduates and what exactly do they do ???

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot......

See,the problem is I am from India. And here if you wish to practice law the study system should be in either of the the 2 forms-

1.10+2+3+3 viz,after 12th standard one attains a degree that is BA/BSc for 3 years etc after which he enrolls for a law(LLB) course which lasts for 3 years
    OR
    10+2+5 viz ,after 12th standard one directly enrols in a law(LLB) course which lasts for 5 years.

The problem is that Law course in UK being of 3 or 4 years after the 12th standard rather than a 5 year course,would I be able to practice ?

Also could you tell me what is the duration of the GDL course.If it is three years then I could do PPE and then GDL.

OR you could have had experience with other Indian students who would have had studied law.

Besides all of these doubts are based on my fear of whether I would be employed if I graduate in Law from Oxford? Are the prospects good??? If so then I would go on with Law

Also culd you tell me the job prospects for PPE graduates and what exactly do they do ???

If I can research this, you can research this.

http://www.barcouncilofindia.org/wp-...-May-20121.doc

What it looks like is that the British universities with older accreditation don't have the asterisk. Presumably India changed the rules after their accreditation was granted.

It looks as though if you did an Oxford law degree you would have to persuade the Bar Council of India to grant Oxford the asterisk whereas if you went to the University of Wolverhampton, that would be unnecessary.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.