Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is this a punishable offence?! Watch

ReputationRep:
    basically me and some friends went to a big empty cinema car park where it was really snowy/icy to do some handbrake turns/slides.

after about 20 minutes some guy in a suit was walking towards us with a clipboard, looked like he was writing down our number plates?
    its not like we were ramming into anything, just a bit of harmless fun.

just wondering if i should be worried? what's the worst that could come from it?

ReputationRep:
    He can't prove who was driving, can he?
    For all he knows, it was your mate "John Smith" driving the car.
    All that will happen IF it goes to the police is... they will tell you off for going on private property and for you not to go back there again.

ReputationRep:
    also, i accidentally slammed into a curb pretty hard D: one of my rear wheels is bent slightly

(Original post by wilsea05)
      also, i accidentally slammed into a curb pretty hard D: one of my rear wheels is bent slightly
      Irrelevant piece of information about your stupidity is irrelevant.

If you get told off it'll be for pissing around on private properly without permission. Shouldn't be anything serious for that.

ReputationRep:
      if it is somewhere where the public have access then the full weight of the road traffic act can be thrown at you ... dangerous driving .

or the plod might be nice and just s.59 you ...

ReputationRep:
      If you are nowhere near anything or anyone that you might crash into, then you aren't doing anything illegal, although you are on someone's private land and they won't take kindly to you doing it.

If you hit someone or something, then you could be charged with dangerous driving as you would have known that losing control on ice was dangerous to the point of colliding with something nearby.

As soon as someone comes near, just drive away normally and safely and all will be well.

ReputationRep:
      as said, if theres no one around and you wernt massively out of control then its not dangerous driving. its not driving without due care and attention either.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by M1F2R3)
      He can't prove who was driving, can he?
      For all he knows, it was your mate "John Smith" driving the car.
      All that will happen IF it goes to the police is... they will tell you off for going on private property and for you not to go back there again.
      So he could then turn round and tell you that "John Smith" isn't on the insurance so you're going to be charged for allowing someone to drive your car without insurance? Good een.

It sounds like a jobsworth security guard, tbh. If you were a serious threat he would likely have been under instructions to call the police immediately.

ReputationRep:
        Maybe. :holmes: Watch your back.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Shuvel)
        So he could then turn round and tell you that "John Smith" isn't on the insurance so you're going to be charged for allowing someone to drive your car without insurance? Good een.
        Twoc

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by M1F2R3)
        Twoc
        If you then claim they 'stole' it then yes, if you said you let them drive allowing it to be driven without proper insurance or however the offence is worded.

ReputationRep:
        Unfortunately yes. I'm no legal expert but I believe that it's punishable by violent gang rape?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by wilsea05)
        basically me and some friends went to a big empty cinema car park where it was really snowy/icy to do some handbrake turns/slides.

after about 20 minutes some guy in a suit was walking towards us with a clipboard, looked like he was writing down our number plates?
        its not like we were ramming into anything, just a bit of harmless fun. (they don't have any signs up or anything either saying not to)

just wondering if i should be worried? what's the worst that could come from it?

Nearly a year ago did you by any chance drive straight into a maroon ford fiesta? because if you did you wrote off my ****ing car.

It's ****ers like you who ruin people's lives and push our insurance up.

Grow the hell up. You shouldn't be allowed to drive a car!

I imagine you'll be done for dangerous driving, as the guy who hit my car was. By the way, his fine was £200 and he had to sit a driver retraining course, and if he is in an accident again or has someone complain about him in the next two years, he automatically goes to court, and loses his license.

Is it still funny?

ReputationRep:
        I'm sorry, but why on earth would there be / should there be signs up saying: 'sorry for any inconvenience that this may cause, but could all motorists please try to refrain from acting like dicks performing handbrake turns in the car park, thank you - the management' when it's fairly obvious that you shouldn't be doing that anyway?

:lolwut:

ReputationRep:
        Oh wow, sounds like an really entertaining thing to do

ReputationRep:
        Meh. Can't imagine they'd throw the book at you just for divving about - if they were being a tryhard jobsworth they might try to do you for disturbing the peace or some other such **** if you were in a public place, making noise, annoying people etc. Good luck with that.

ReputationRep:
        I can't imagine anything will come of it, there is no way that he can prove who was driving the car. For all you know your mates nicked your car without you knowing.

And whats with all the disapproving posts? Its just a bit of harmless fun if you do it when there is no one / nothing about.

ReputationRep:
        what would be REALLY funny, is if the big empty car park had security cameras

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by charcharchar)
        Oh wow, sounds like an really entertaining thing to do

women...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.