Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is 'cnt' an acceptable abbreviation of 'can't'? Watch

ReputationRep:
    ...aside from the fact that 'can't' is already a contraction by itself, and the further abbreviation is unfortunately similar to the c-word.

Before anyone asks, my english project is on language changes brought about by technology so I am researching internet/text language. thanks!

ReputationRep:
    acceptable in what sense? people will understand the meaning when its used.. so its acceptable in that way..

ReputationRep:
    I don't like it.

ReputationRep:
    :teehee:

:rofl:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I've never seen "cnt" used before, really. I would assume it to be a contraction of the 'C-word' rather than "can't", tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I guess i wouldnt be SO annoyed if someone uses it.
    But you shouldnt really have to abbreviate cant.

It would take longer to tape cnt on my phone than it would can't with t9 whatever its called xD

ReputationRep:
    Just leave it at cant, son.

ReputationRep:
    :gasp: - my expression if i recived 'cnt'

:giggle:

ReputationRep:
    But if you say it, it sounds like a word that rhymes with punt.

ReputationRep:
    Uh, what? Why would you even want to do that? It's only a four letter word and it is already a contraction! This seems pointless.

ReputationRep:
    because of the way it was used in a sentance it would be pretty obvious what it means.

i however don't really use "text speak" when i text. qwerty keyboards and unlimited texts have sort of killed that in me

ReputationRep:
    Abbreviate an abbreviation, why?

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't be completely obvious...

"I can sing better than that..."
    "That's stupid, you cnt"

Lame example but hey ho...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    because of the way it was used in a sentance it would be pretty obvious what it means.
    Not necessarily- If you told me you were going to do something and I replied "you cnt", am I calling you a rude word or telling you that it is not possible? :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    No it's not.

Does anyone actually still use "text speak"? I think its just the Daily Mail who think they do.

ReputationRep:
    I would assume that it's a contraction of a different word. :mmm:

You stupid cnt, you cnt just go around misspelling words and assuming people know what they mean.

QWERTY keyboards for the win and, eventually, the text messaging character limit issue will be overcome and people might start typing properly again.

ReputationRep:
      You cnt

ReputationRep:
      I can't be the only person who's seen this countless times. Yes, people use this daily instead of 'can't'.

I don't though. I'm one of those losers who doesn't even type in text speak when typing texts.

ReputationRep:
      no looks too much like another 4 letter word beginning with c. also its only two characters more.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.