Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am applying (and was invited for an interview <yay!!! haha>) for Oxford's new Biomedical Sciences degree. As an IB applicant who already sat her exams, this snippet extracted from BMS's website really puzzled me:

Typical standard offer (for a candidate offering Chemistry, Mathematics and History to Higher Level):
    An overall score of 39 points (including core points), with a 7 in Mathematics at Higher Level, a 6 in Chemistry at Higher Level, and a 6 in History at Higher Level.

1) Why would Oxford demand a 7 in HL Maths rather than a 7 in HL Chem which I thought would be more relevant to the subject? (biomedical sciences)
    2) Does Oxford typically assign specific IB scores to specific subjects?
    I am taking (or shall I say, took) HL chemistry, biology and history.
    If I manage/d to get a 44 in IB (fingers crossed, this is purely hypothetical!! I really don't think it will happen) with a 6 in HL biology and obviously a 7 in everything else, would I face a rejection because I would not have met my offer? (I don't think I did particularly well in biology )
    And do you think Oxford is more likely to request a 7 in HL chemistry or ..a 7 in HL biology considering the nature of the course I applied to?

Good luck to all those attending interviews and thank you so much for answering my silly little question. (I know it's a bit too soon to be worrying about this, but I am just really curious and want to know what everyone thinks. )
    x

ReputationRep:
    really with a 44 you should have nothing to worry about.

But then again my friend got rejected from MIT and she had a 45. You just never know.

Good luck tho

ReputationRep:
    As you can read in Oxford's applying FAQ wiki page, they tend to be more flexible with regard to IB scores, and if you are a really good candidate and they choose you (i.e., make an offer), then such a little miss is not likely to make them withdraw the place for you. I've personally met people who had the same situation, but still got the place.

Of course, a point or another above the requirement wouldn't hurt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilder)
    As you can read in Oxford's applying FAQ wiki page, they tend to be more flexible with regard to IB scores, and if you are a really good candidate and they choose you (i.e., make an offer), then such a little miss is not likely to make them withdraw the place for you. I've personally met people who had the same situation, but still got the place.

Of course, a point or another above the requirement wouldn't hurt
    Thanks I went on to the FAQ page...
    "For IB the university is historically slightly more lenient (possibly because an IB point is considered "smaller" than a whole A-level grade) but the situation is still not promising for those who slip a grade. "
    Oh dear I just wish my exam session is next year in May but I already sat my exams in November and there's absolutely nothing I can do about it.
    I guess I just have to pray and hope for the best.

ReputationRep:
    I'd imagine chemistry would be more important, but that is pure speculation :dontknow: You'll find out soon enough - stop worrying!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    I'd imagine chemistry would be more important, but that is pure speculation :dontknow: You'll find out soon enough - stop worrying!
    lol thanks, I really, really needed that "stop worrying!" I wish someone can come and kick me in the shins - I need to stop worrying and just take everything one step at a time!

I hope you are right.
    Oh but even if IT IS biology, there's absolutely nothing I can do about it now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CZephyr)
    I am applying (and was invited for an interview <yay!!! haha>) for Oxford's new Biomedical Sciences degree. As an IB applicant who already sat her exams, this snippet extracted from BMS's website really puzzled me:

Typical standard offer (for a candidate offering Chemistry, Mathematics and History to Higher Level):
    An overall score of 39 points (including core points), with a 7 in Mathematics at Higher Level, a 6 in Chemistry at Higher Level, and a 6 in History at Higher Level.

1) Why would Oxford demand a 7 in HL Maths rather than a 7 in HL Chem which I thought would be more relevant to the subject? (biomedical sciences)
    2) Does Oxford typically assign specific IB scores to specific subjects?
    I am taking (or shall I say, took) HL chemistry, biology and history.
    If I manage/d to get a 44 in IB (fingers crossed, this is purely hypothetical!! I really don't think it will happen) with a 6 in HL biology and obviously a 7 in everything else, would I face a rejection because I would not have met my offer? (I don't think I did particularly well in biology )
    And do you think Oxford is more likely to request a 7 in HL chemistry or ..a 7 in HL biology considering the nature of the course I applied to?

Good luck to all those attending interviews and thank you so much for answering my silly little question. (I know it's a bit too soon to be worrying about this, but I am just really curious and want to know what everyone thinks. )
    x
    yeah, i had a friend who got 44 as asked but she got a 6 in the subject they wanted a 7 in. she was literally marks away but they rejected her so really you should aim for what they want good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.