Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

So I have an assessment this week for contract law relating to the assessment of damages. The quote pretty much implies that the rules are uncertain, and that judges use them in a flexible way, so that they can make sure the claimant gets a fair sum as compensation and that the defendant isn't let off for breaking his promise.

I am just trying to plan it, but I'm really struggling to think of points for this one.

So far I've got...

That the remedy of specific performance is (as a principle) no used for contracts of personal performance (but there are exceptions and I will state the exceptions and why they are exceptions)

and

Damages are always available for termination of a contract, other than where there is no loss (nominal damages) as this would simply punish the D and not put the claimant in the place he would aim to be, had the contract been performed (which is what damages aim to do)

If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be brilliant...

Thank you all! x

ReputationRep:
    BUMP - anyone please? :/

ReputationRep:
    Don't think your current points are really valid, nominal damages is a bit of a non-point and specific performance doesn't answer the question if it is about damages

Try reading the chapter in Burrows' Casebook on Contract about remedies

The most important points include
    - How do you decide whether something is a warranty, innominate term or condition, especially when you don't just look at how a term is described in a contract?
    - Re: Innominate terms, how do you decide what is sufficiently serious?
    - When are damages available for loss of amenity/enjoyment? A fair bit of uncertainty here
    - How do you decide on quantum?
    - When are damages not available for the cost of curing a defect? (see the important case concerning the dude who was tall and wanted a deep swimming pool but the contractors dug it too small and it would have cost a bomb to get the pool deepened)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.