Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys its my first year doing History and for some strange reason they say attendance is compulsory.
    I don't understand why though, i mean we're the ones paying to go to university so why should we get punished for not attending?
    This wouldn't be a problem to me if i enjoyed the module which these seminars are apart of.
    I have missed 9/12 of them and received emails from the lecturer and my tutor but im just unsure of what to say. I miss these seminars because they are the only 9am i have, ive had trouble sleeping, i have a phobia of catching students germs and in the enclosed space where our seminars take place its even worse, to top it off my lecturer is German. The fact hes German is an issue because i can't understand a word of what hes saying and after the first seminar i went to i figured it wasn't going to be helpful to me.
    It doesn't help either that they have been saying its their obligation to tell future employers about problems with absence.

How screwed am i? =/

ReputationRep:
    Pretty screwed, but not too late to late to turn it around. If it's your only 9am, make an effort to go! If they're compulsory, they're compulsory, not worth getting kicked out of uni because you couldn't be bothered to get up!

ReputationRep:
    Don't you want to get value for your money? It's quite likely a lot of people have competed for the place you have got so I imagine your uni wants you to make the most of it.

ReputationRep:
    Even my lecture has a register :dontknow:. Just go, you should have known there was a good chance of a 9am class and sitting in confined room with other students when you signed up to go to uni. So either drop out/get kicked out, or get over it.

ReputationRep:
    My lectures and seminars are compulsory, just turn up to them. With seminars if everyone had your attitude then the few people that do turn up will get little out of the seminar and therefore little for their money. Seminars are excellent for sharing interpretations and ideas and reinforcing things you've read. Lectures are just plain useful unless you want to do a load of extra reading.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.