Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been told/advised to go to university and next year I should apply for a summer Internship for summer 2012 at a top IB group. After this I should review my decision to become an IB and see if it's really for me. If I find it is for me then I should work hard to get a first and then apply for a job as an IB after finishing my masters.

This seemed like wrong advice. Don't know why, but I thought there'd be more to it than that and so that's why i'm asking here.

Is that what I should do?

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like a fair enough plan. Why do you think it'd bad advice?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know. People generally find it hard to get into good jobs and the route into them isn't as straight forward as the advice I was given.

ReputationRep:
    Well it obviously isn't going to be as straight forward as just turning up! Going to an excellent uni is just the start. You're going to have to work hard to get a first and even getting an internship is going to be incredibly competitive. You should be looking to some experiences under your belt at uni too. Joining an Economics or Investing society would be a good start. Getting some roles with responsibility are a good shout too, whether thats in societies or as a course rep or something. Even if you manage all that, you need to make sure your interviewing/assessment centre technique is top notch.

A lot of people seem to think you can just get a 2:1/1st and show up. It's definitely not the case!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.