Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am currently in the process of choosing my AS subjects for next year. I am pretty confident in getting good GCSEs but am not sure what to choose for A-level. I've narrowed it down to a few combinations and was hoping i could get some advice on whats best to do. I am still unsure regarding my future career path so I want to keep my options open.

Option 1:French, History, Psychology, Music Technology
    Option 2: French, Politics, Psychology, Music Technology
    Option 3: French, Chemistry, History, Music Technology
    Option 4: French, Chemistry, Politics, Music Technology
    Or possibly this option if I want to maybe study medicine? French, Chemistry, Biology, Music Technology?

Also Im good at English lit but don't find it all that interesting but I reckon I could get an A so that could be an option also

I definitely want to do music tech because I think I would enjoy it greatly and according to my dad a modern language is a really good one to do and helpful for jobs, and the next best thing after maths (which i definitely dont want to do!) and i did my french GCSE a year early.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyb123)
    Hi, I am currently in the process of choosing my AS subjects for next year. I am pretty confident in getting good GCSEs but am not sure what to choose for A-level. I've narrowed it down to a few combinations and was hoping i could get some advice on whats best to do. I am still unsure regarding my future career path so I want to keep my options open.

Option 1:French, History, Psychology, Music Technology
    Option 2: French, Politics, Psychology, Music Technology
    Option 3: French, Chemistry, History, Music Technology
    Option 4: French, Chemistry, Politics, Music Technology
    Or possibly this option if I want to maybe study medicine? French, Chemistry, Biology, Music Technology?

Also Im good at English lit but don't find it all that interesting but I reckon I could get an A so that could be an option also

I definitely want to do music tech because I think I would enjoy it greatly and according to my dad a modern language is a really good one to do and helpful for jobs, and the next best thing after maths (which i definitely dont want to do!) and i did my french GCSE a year early.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Do subjects you are good at and subjects you like. Narrow your career path to two choices. Then base your subjects around those choices. For example, I want to go into Engineering or I want to do Business/Economics. My subjects would be Maths, Physics, Further Maths, Economics. I would need maths for both Business and Engineering. Then I have Physics and Economics which I can specialize in so I have choices of both career paths.

ReputationRep:
    I believe I would be good at all these subjects (apart from politics and psychology as I have never learnt them before.) And I am interested in all of them. As I'm not sure what career I want, I'm looking for some advice at what subjects would be good and what combinations work best and how each can help me in future career paths.

ReputationRep:
    I believe I would be good at all these subjects (apart from politics and psychology as I have never learnt them before.) And I am interested in all of them. As I'm not sure what career I want, I'm looking for some advice at what subjects would be good and what combinations work best and how each can help me in future career paths.
    I am also in Year 11 but loads of people who are good at GCSE do struggle at A-Level. Prepare to put some time and dedication in.

Career Paths :

Business/Economics - High paid job, interesting, interact with people, being your own boss and you don't have to study millions of equations to be able to do business

Science - Fills curiosity, high intelligence, answers questions and it is also preferred by most universities

Journalism - Fun, creativity, exciting (you go abroad to visit countries),

Maths/Accountant - High paid job, lots of demand but can be boring

Geography/History - Interesting, fascinating, also helps with Economics or if you want to do something with Politics in the future

ReputationRep:
    Right so what would these subjects help me pursue a career in and are they good choices and combinations?
    I am prepared to work harder of course as these are all subjects that interest me.

ReputationRep:
    May I ask, what is it you'd actually like to do when you've finished your A-Levels? (Whether it's a degree or job type).

French = it's always good to have a language, they show versatility, and if you're good at them, you stand out.

History = a powerful arts subject (if you're going to do one of the arts, History or English Literature are excellent additions to your set) it shows analytical rigour and a strong essay writing side.

Chemistry = another strong subject, it shows pure intellect and the ability to calculate and look at things from a number of perspectives. (Essential if you want to do Medicine!)

Music Tech = I'm not really sure to be honest, I wouldn't class it as one of the stronger subjects like the ones above, but if you genuinely like it, consider it as a fourth subject.

Politics = A good subject, but like Music Tech would be one you'd have to choose out of pure preference; it would be a nice fourth A-Level.

(I'm taking History, Literature, Mathematics, Politics and Economics - I may be a little biased) :')

I believe that English Literature, History, Chemistry and French would be practically perfect, though. It shows that you're analytical, logical, versatile, and able to work coherently. And you could always keep up with political and economic events in History and the news, and do something to fuel your musical interest in your spare time.

ReputationRep:
    I think option 3 looks good - it has a nice balance, and are subjects that universities like if that's what you want to go on to do. It would keep lots of options open, except continuing chemistry at university, since for science subjects you generally need a combination of sciences and maths.
    However, try and think of what you want to do after sixth form, this would really help you in choosing A Levels to suit your plans. Eg. If you want to do french, a strong arts/ essay subject would be helpful. (like History or English Lit)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MorningElegance)
    E.g. If you want to do French, a strong arts/essay subject would be helpful. (like History or English Lit)
    I couldn't agree more. If you're planning to do French though, you'll probably need an A/A*. I had a friend who selected French at A-Level originally with a B grade in GCSE, and was shocked by the fact that everyone else was practically fluent.

So choose wisely!

ReputationRep:
    well I definitely want to go to uni. Difficult as this will be given the current fees and competition I reckon I can do it if I get good A-levels. In terms of what course well this is what i'm not sure about, the main point of this question. I was under the impression that both chemistry and biology are needed to study medicine? If not then it does make things easier.

Yeah I can see how music tech doesn't fit in well with the others... but then again it is the subject I want to do the most mainly because I already do it in my spare time and I would hugely enjoy learning more about it and producing it. Do you think its a "luxury i cannot afford"?

French History English lit and chemistry does sound good, but is english lit of any superior academic merit compared to music tech when i'm already doing 1 essay subject (i.e history)? If biology is not essential to studying medicine then it is definitely worth considering though. I suppose it all depends on the career I want...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MorningElegance)
    I think option 3 looks good - it has a nice balance, and are subjects that universities like if that's what you want to go on to do.
    Option 3 was my initial choice, and the one that tempts me the most. But then what is the point in doing chemistry if there is no chance of continuing it? Would the space not be better filled with another humanity/art if thats where the career seems to be headed.

ReputationRep:
    Oh with your A-level selections you should have no worries at all about University application.

For Medicine things like Biology/Chemistry/Mathematics are the general set ups, but Chemistry is the only necessity. If you do end up choosing Medicine with subjects like French/History/Music or English Lit/Chemistry, they will just ask "Why Medicine?" and if you're okay answering that, then you're fine for the course; you'd have no problems.

Regarding Music Tech, if it's something you enjoy, go for it. Even if it's only to AS, you don't want to regret not taking it, so if it's something you definitely like and enjoy, you should take it. Universities generally only require 3 A-levels at A2 for entry anyway. Music can also be applied to things like logic and co-ordination, so I wouldn't count it as completely non-relevant to your other choices.

English Lit is the strongest essay based subject, so academically, it would be superior to Music Tech - but preference should come before what looks good on paper.

I don't think Biology is a necessity for Medicine. It would certainly help, but I don't think it's something you absolutely need - that would be Chemistry.

You should look at the Oxford/Cambridge websites, browse the courses and have a look at what would suit you, and the requirements for such courses.

ReputationRep:
    Option 3 was my initial choice, and the one that tempts me the most. But then what is the point in doing chemistry if there is no chance of continuing it? Would the space not be better filled with another humanity/art if thats where the career seems to be headed.
    You could fill it with another humanity, but then again, the chemistry could make you stand out. If you show you can do both science and arts, then universities/employers will see you as a more rounded person. I have done physics without the possibility of doing it at university, but I still think it has been really helpful to balance out the art subjects, and showing that I can study a variety of subjects.

ReputationRep:
    thanks very much for the advice. This is the first time i've come to this website looking for guidance and I have been impressed and will certainly come back have I any more queries. I am thinking of pursuing a more science orientated career path probably either chemistry biology french and keeping music tech in there which i can always drop at AS just because I will enjoy it highly. This keeps my options open in careers to do with medicine and science courses most of which don't require maths (thank god!).

Either that or I will replace biology with history and possibly do history joint with my modern language as french can really go with any course. Once again thanks very much, you have made things much clearer in my mind!

ReputationRep:
    thanks very much for the advice. This is the first time i've come to this website looking for guidance and I have been impressed and will certainly come back have I any more queries. I am thinking of pursuing a more science orientated career path probably either chemistry biology french and keeping music tech in there which i can always drop at AS just because I will enjoy it highly. This keeps my options open in careers to do with medicine and science courses most of which don't require maths (thank god!).

Either that or I will replace biology with history and possibly do history joint with my modern language as french can really go with any course. Once again thanks very much, you have made things much clearer in my mind!
    Great, glad you have some more stability with your choices, too!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.