The Student Room Group

English or Chemistry?

I'm going to take following subjects: Law, Economis, Medieval History and critical thinking. However I'm not sure on whether I should do an English (either Lit, lang or combined) or Chemistry (I consider Biology to impeccably boring and you have to do maths with physics. Hence the choice of chemistry. So the question is Chemistry or some for English.

I'm interested in doing a law or history degree at university.

Scroll to see replies

English, considering your university choices.
Reply 2
Do straight Literature, it's far more respected than lang or lit/lang.
English Lit :smile:
Original post by ollie51
I'm going to take following subjects: Law, Economis, Medieval History and critical thinking. However I'm not sure on whether I should do an English (either Lit, lang or combined) or Chemistry (I consider Biology to impeccably boring and you have to do maths with physics. Hence the choice of chemistry. So the question is Chemistry or some for English.

I'm interested in doing a law or history degree at university.

You don't have to do Maths with Physics - it's quite doable without, provided you're capable of doing maths anyway. Also, Chemistry uses quite a bit of maths too (not as much as Physics but i'd say it comes relatively close).

But yeah, English because it's a) a traditional subject which your set of subjects seems to sort of lack at the moment; b) more relevant than Chemistry. :smile:
Reply 5
I'd thought a science would be good idea, but i'd much rather do English.
Sorry but why did I get a negative rep for that? Unis do actually like traditional subjects.
Reply 7
English is boring, do Chemistry
Reply 8
Original post by Chelle-belle
You don't have to do Maths with Physics - it's quite doable without, provided you're capable of doing maths anyway. Also, Chemistry uses quite a bit of maths too (not as much as Physics but i'd say it comes relatively close).

But yeah, English because it's a) a traditional subject which your set of subjects seems to sort of lack at the moment; b) more relevant than Chemistry. :smile:

I wouldn't say I'm Lacking in traditional subjects I have three including chemistry/english and I'm not allowed to do physics without maths, I got A* in my mock but nevertheless I was told no.
Original post by ollie51
I wouldn't say I'm Lacking in traditional subjects I have three including chemistry/english and I'm not allowed to do physics without maths, I got A* in my mock but nevertheless I was told no.

Law is not a traditional subject (this does not mean respected, but it is not viewed as traditional by at least LSE and some colleges in Cambridge); critical thinking is not accepted by a lot of unis in their offers. The reason why I said "sort of" lacking traditional subjects is because Medieval History sounds different to History; the latter being clearly traditional.

I would not consider Economics a traditional subject (though I would place it close to that). That is not to say the subject is not respected.

If one were talking about maximising your chances for entry into a highly competitive subject area they would probably suggest to go fully traditional. I did not say your subject choice was inadequate at all. Lastly, I was under the impression you were under the impression that "you have to do maths with physics" (instead of being an actual requirement in your school.)
Reply 10
It's evident that I haven't made my self clear; I asking about taking English or chemistry, based on the subjects above. Sorry for the bluntness, I've chosen these subjects based on those list published by LSE, Cambridge etc....
If you want to do Law or History at university, I would choose English. This is from someone who did a Chemistry degree and all Science and Maths A-levels!
Reply 12
Drop Law and do both English and Chemistry. Otherwise you will be doing two soft subjects, as opposed to one (I assume Critical Thinking is compulsory). Furthermore, with Law degrees they are looking for intelligent people so to do well in Chemistry will be looked upon well. You can't hedge your bets just because you're also considering History.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
I have to do law, Before I go off to Uni I'm taking a gap year and I will be spending 9 months at N.Ireland's largest solocitors firm, but the partner I arranged it with said I must
do the Law A-Level.
Reply 14
I also won't be carrying critical thinking to A2 and yes it's compulsorary it's that or general studies.
Original post by ollie51
It's evident that I haven't made my self clear; I asking about taking English or chemistry, based on the subjects above. Sorry for the bluntness, I've chosen these subjects based on those list published by LSE, Cambridge etc....

Really? Because LSE loves fully traditional subjects, but since Economics isn't really traditional, you would have History (assuming Medieval History is the same thing) and English or Chemistry. I suppose that does fill the criterea of two traditional subjects and one from LSE's "non-traditional but accepted" list, but of course this would not maximise your chances. LSE explicitly states that Law A level would not be an advantage anyway.

You would be fine for Cambridge (where you can additionally sell yourself at the interview provided you get good grades anyway).

That said, top unis also explicitly say that they like to see intellectual curiosity and diversity in your ability etc, so maybe Chemistry would be a good idea.

You made yourself clear but I believe you misinterpreted my last post - which was about how many of the subjects on your list would actually be considered traditional, and whether or not your chances would have been maximised for top unis.

PS. Critical thinking and general studies are usually (90% of the time) considered the same thing :yep:
(edited 13 years ago)
English Literature. Also, drop Critical Thinking & Law and do Chemistry.
Reply 17
Original post by Chelle-belle

Chemistry is also a traditional subject... :confused:

I would do english, OP. It's perhaps more relevant to your degree.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Valh
Chemistry is also a traditional subject... :confused:

I would do english, OP. It's perhaps more relevant to your degree.

Yeah point a was more about why OP would have made a nice choice by picking English regardless of History being a substitute.
Reply 19
Can I please reiterate that your giving your opinion on whether I should take English or Chemistry, I have already explained that Law is a must! I am already doing a schools critical thinking course and I have found it very intresting so I would be far more logical to take it over general studies. I can't say I'm particularily interested in LSE but more so In Warwick, Durham and similair Unis. And Economics is consider a strong/traditonal/favorable subject as is History, Law is the tier below, I cannot remember the term used. English and Chemistry are both in the same category as History and economics, so I'd have 3 traditional and one slightly less so.

Quick Reply

Latest