Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

To those who have forgiven a cheating partner Watch

Tried to post this earlier, but doesnt seem to have shown up.

I was just wondering if anyone here had forgiven their bf/gf for cheating, and if so, did it work out? How did you build up the trust again?

I just found out my bf has cheated on me through sex conversations with a girl on the internet. I see it as cheating as he'd ask her when she'd be online and it happened over a period of time. He didnt tell me either; I found out because he tried to hide the messages.

I'm divided about dumping him, or forgiving him, but just wanted to ask how those who have forgiven their partners for cheating built up their trust again and if it worked out in the end. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    you need to confront him about it before you make that decision and listen to what he says, how sorry he is etc. most people on here will say dump straight away but id say go with your gut feeling as we know nothing about the rest of your relationship at all. if you think he would do it again i would get rid, that and if he starts attacking you for invading his privacy- that just shows hes trying to shift the blame

ReputationRep:
    Dump.

ReputationRep:
    Forgave.
    Didn't take back.

ReputationRep:
    DO NOT CONFRONT him if you on't plan to dump him.just NO.
    you have 2 choices:
    1)either if you lvoe him so much stay silent but keep your eyes open..
    give him hints that you could cheat on him too or just something for him to worry losing you.give him signals that if you break up one day you WONT sob after him and will carry on fine,and he'll be the loser.just b very firm and independent.
    2)or Confront&dump him with NO forgiving.

trust me it wont work if you forgive after confrontation cos he'll know your attatcehd and i guarrentee you my life he will cheat again.

cos its not a 1 night thing,
    plus he has intention to stop or tell you about it as he's hiding the messages.

hope i've helped you

ReputationRep:
    If YOU think you can trust him again then take him back.

Thanks for the replies.

If I felt like I could trust him again, how would I build up that trust? I can't demand he tells me every girl that he speaks to. He says he saw it just as talking, and nothing serious-just flirty conversation.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 1, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.