Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Please help, it seems Queen Mary is better for the course but Lancaster is better overall?

ReputationRep:
    Queen Mary isn't a very nice university; I know people who've gone and weren't very happy with it. I like Lancaster, and the History department are really nice, even if the course can be a bit strange at times.

A person who may be a good person to ask is bestie. She'd often post on the Lancaster boards, and she did her undergrad at Queen Mary and her postgrad at Lancaster. She did a science though, so in terms of course she might not be too helpful, but in terms of having attended both she'd probably be a good person to talk to about the general life here and at Queen Mary and the pros and cons of attending both.

I don't think either are awful though - you'll get a good education at either.

One thing I'll point out having been born and raised in London and coming to live in Lancaster is that the environment is really different...almost a culture shock. If you live on campus you'll go from being part of the hustle and bustle of the biggest urban city in the country to what is basically a village, and it can take a while to get used to (truth be told, I'm not quite used to it yet).

Anyway, good luck in making your decision.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])
    Please help, it seems Queen Mary is better for the course but Lancaster is better overall?
    I have studied at both and I 100% enjoyed my time at Lancaster more even though I only spent a year there. I enjoyed it so much I still live in the town and am still an active member of a society at the uni.

The courses, while I haven't studied either I had friends who did English and History at QM and both dropped out, for English especially there seemed to be little help from tutors/lecturers.

Accommodation: More expensive at QM, and there is less off it. Even 1st years are not guarrenteed accommodation. I lived in Varey house, so one of the cheapest but had friends in Fielden, France and Pooley. The more expensive rooms are pretty much the same at both campuses but the atmosphere in halls and campus is much better in Lancaster and many people spend 2/3 years in halls. The college system encourages a sense of belonging right from the start and Freshers was much bigger and friendlier at Lancaster.

Towns: QM is London, so big city and all that, lots to do but as a Londoner I have not been bored up north at all. There are enough pubs and clubs to keep you occupied and it's much cheaper, as well as friendlier. In the daytime, shopping in Lancaster is a bit rubbish, though we have the major high street chains but Morecambe is good for budget shops and Preston and Manchester are good for a big shopping spree. Everything else you can order online, which is what I've done, and in halls you have a porter to collect all your deliveries so no treks up the Whitechapel road for parcels.

Campus: QM has a small little campus, and while the library is well stocked, there is little to do on campus, with drapers being the only entertainment. Lancaster has 9 bars and quite a few shops. It's only 15 mins to town as well. The campus is big and spacious, the duck pond and field is great in the summer for BBQs or in the winter for sledging. The societies at Lancaster are much more active than QM as well, if your thinking of joining.

All in all I would say Lancaster, unless you specificily want to go to London, then nothing is going to beat QM. I enjoyed my time at QM but I wish I had gone to Lancaster for my undergrad, perhaps not for the course but for everything else. Lancaster is continuley moving up the league tables (I think it is higher than QM) and tbh, both QM and Lancaster degrees will get you jobs so choose which feels better for you.

Hope this helps, PM me if you want more info. I appolgise for my spelling.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, that was really helpful. I've chosen to go for Lancaster. If I think of anything I'll be sure to ask. Thanks again.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.