Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    We were made to do our first draft last Friday - with no proper thinking time, just at a surprise assembly like 10 minutes before break. :eek:

Are there any other schools getting ridiculously ahead of themselves like ours? :confused: Or is it just our new senior management going crazy?

We used to have a points system, but now we're being made to take subjects in at least 4 columns, then if you have a free 5th column that's where you can do extra-curricular things. I wanted to do 3 subjects and 2 extra-curriculars. :mad:

Ended up putting myself down for AHs in French, Music and English, and (hopefully, if they let me skip Int. 2 cos I'll have done Higher French by then) crash Higher Spanish. I didn't want to take feckin' AH English. What have I let myself in for?!

ReputationRep:
    I think we had to choose around this time last year too. You can always change your mind up until about exam time, and even after (though they tend to be a bit less welcoming as the timetable will probably be allocated by then).

So wait, in saying you have to fill all five columns, you don't get free periods? :O

ReputationRep:
    I think we choose ours after prelims so that would be like March time so I find it weird you're doing it now :P yeah you can change even up to august when results come out so I wouldn't stress

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enzo-259)
    So wait, in saying you have to fill all five columns, you don't get free periods? :O
    I think we do, but I'm not sure. I've heard there's 6th years this year who took 5 subjects and still have frees. I think they have to make sure you have at least some frees. If not then I wanted to do my extra-curricular doing peer mentoring in Music, so I probably wouldn't be there 6 periods a week anyway. :cool:

I might do crash Higher Modern Studies instead of AH English. Depends on results/what's in the course I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Murrayh)
    I think we choose ours after prelims so that would be like March time so I find it weird you're doing it now :P yeah you can change even up to august when results come out so I wouldn't stress
    same! I agree with every part of this.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously they'll let you skip Int 2 if you've done Higher. There's no hopefully about it, Higher whoops Int 2's ass. I see you've done SG French as well, which you got a 1 in, which is equivalent to an Int 2 A. I don't see why people have this big thing that Int 2's > SG's. In reality they're pretty much the same.

Anyway, yeah. I think we had our first draft in before Christmas last year. But I managed to get 2 free columns and to be honest it's a bit much. I almost find myself having as much free time as lessons! It looks as is you probably should get the two frees, they're becoming more helpful as I prepare for my Cambridge interview. I'm sure should you decide to apply to Oxbridge (you should do well this year given you SG's/Int 2's) they'll become invaluable to you too!

Anyway, good luck with your Highers this year and I wish you all the best in your S6 subject choices

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by christielovesyou)
    We were made to do our first draft last Friday - with no proper thinking time, just at a surprise assembly like 10 minutes before break. :eek:

Are there any other schools getting ridiculously ahead of themselves like ours? :confused: Or is it just our new senior management going crazy?

We used to have a points system, but now we're being made to take subjects in at least 4 columns, then if you have a free 5th column that's where you can do extra-curricular things. I wanted to do 3 subjects and 2 extra-curriculars. :mad:

Ended up putting myself down for AHs in French, Music and English, and (hopefully, if they let me skip Int. 2 cos I'll have done Higher French by then) crash Higher Spanish. I didn't want to take feckin' AH English. What have I let myself in for?!
    That's ridiculously early for making choices! :eek: We didn't make ours until at least March - when we had sat our prelims and had a rough idea what grades we were going to get. You've only just started your Highers, I don't think its a good idea for your school to ask you to decide right now.

Oh, and Advanced Higher English isn't as bad as you'd think. Much better than Higher, much more interesting.

ReputationRep:

What year are you in :confused: ???

ReputationRep:
    Oh my gosh I really hope we don't have to make our choices soon. I still haven't settled into the higher course in a few subjects, never mind thinking about advanced highers/extra highers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jarlsberg)
    What year are you in :confused: ???
    S5.

ReputationRep:
    S5.
    Ahh okay. I didn't start my 6th year studies until march when i was in 5th

ReputationRep:
    This isn't the proper selection right? We used to a practice one in January I think, but the proper one wasn't til at least march.

ReputationRep:
    :eek: You shouldn't have to decide already! Last year we decided around March. Even if you take five subjects at my school, you still have one free period a day because there are six periods. I have a lot of free periods because I do four subjects and only three of them are in school because Psychology is at college. I think three AH's and a crash Higher would be quite a workload but if you think you would manage then you should do it. I've heard that AH English is much more enjoyable than Higher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kelz_26)
    :eek: You shouldn't have to decide already! Last year we decided around March. Even if you take five subjects at my school, you still have one free period a day because there are six periods. I have a lot of free periods because I do four subjects and only three of them are in school because Psychology is at college. I think three AH's and a crash Higher would be quite a workload but if you think you would manage then you should do it. I've heard that AH English is much more enjoyable than Higher.
    No double periods? Or P.E. or R.E? At my school there's also 6 periods in a day, but if you take five subjects you're in class all day, due to doubles, P.E. and R.E.

I, however, only take 3 subjects, so I'm rather swamped with free periods.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    No double periods? Or P.E. or R.E? At my school there's also 6 periods in a day, but if you take five subjects you're in class all day, due to doubles, P.E. and R.E.

I, however, only take 3 subjects, so I'm rather swamped with free periods.
    At my school there's no R.E after fourth year and you get to choose between P.E and study periods. If you have a double period (rarely) then you don't have one of your other subjects in that day.

ReputationRep:
    Rofl, December, seriously? We got our option forms in the week before study leave of S5.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.