Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have a guy friend, met him on my year abroad 2 years ago - in that time became close friends (sharing an apartment, travelling together). after that year, he has come to my city for study purposes and we continued our friendship as it had been. I've always liked him but never had the guts to do anything.

Now he's properly back in his home country we still keep in touch, on average talking online once a fortnight. recently we've been talking more like sometimes he'll just contact me for no reason (as do i), e.g once he started a conversation just to remind me that it was a mutual friend's b-day and that I should write on their wall. And the other day he was like 'you're still awake? what are you doing?' (it was 1am for me, morning for him) and then we'd continue chatting about pretty much nothing, all very insignificant stuff but talking for 2+hours usually.

Basically just would like to hear what people think, is it common for guys to keep up long distance friendship with girls? Are we just friends or more?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    From what you've said, he is deffo interested in you. But ya know it is hard for guys to be totally in love with you when you are thaat far away so tbh at the moment you sound like pretty good friends. But dont give up just cos hes in another country doesn't mean he's lost all interest in you!

ReputationRep:
    I thought this was going to be a philosophical essay on what defines us as humans. Misleading thread title is misleading

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    I thought this was going to be a philosophical essay on what defines us as humans. Misleading thread title is misleading
    This. Damn you OP, I got excited.

ReputationRep:
    OP has disappointed us all. :emo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    OP has disappointed us all. :emo:
    You can say that again! What a misleading title.

OP, you're nothing :nothing:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaya:))
    From what you've said, he is deffo interested in you. But ya know it is hard for guys to be totally in love with you when you are thaat far away so tbh at the moment you sound like pretty good friends. But dont give up just cos hes in another country doesn't mean he's lost all interest in you!
    Er, what? How did you come to the conclusion that he's definitely interested in her? That's just standard friendship behaviour. If it was a girl she was talking about it would be quite blatantly just a friendship- the fact that he's a man doesn't automatically give a deeper meaning to a few chats that they have.

OP- I don't mean this is a bad way- it's very possible he's interested in you. But it's also very possible he's not, and from what you've told us there hasn't been anything that's out of the ordinary for a platonic relationship. However, I would say go with your gut instinct- if you just 'get the feeling' he fancies you then you're probably right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A_master)
    You can say that again! What a misleading title.

OP, you're nothing :nothing:
    Ahh, I think I was supposed to dig another picture of me out for you/the girl you were pimping out. :pimp:

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a very similar situation. I've even had the "What are you still doing up?" conversation! Something did happen between us whilst I was abroad, but although we talk weekly we have never spoken about it. He is not home for another good few months, and I have no idea how things are going to work out when he is back in England.
    Based on what you have said, I believe he likes you. I'm not sure if it's a common situation... but I do know its a frustrating one.

(Original post by geph123)
    I'm in a very similar situation. I've even had the "What are you still doing up?" conversation! Something did happen between us whilst I was abroad, but although we talk weekly we have never spoken about it. He is not home for another good few months, and I have no idea how things are going to work out when he is back in England.
    Based on what you have said, I believe he likes you. I'm not sure if it's a common situation... but I do know its a frustrating one.
    Wow I'm glad to have found someone who's kinda in the same position! Your words are very reassuring thanks haha. I guess we just have to wait it out and see, I dunno...

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to tell from that, it all depends on what type of guy he is. I mean, if he's the type to keep in touch with anyone or is it just with you that he starts conversations?

But maybe you should just tell him how you feel. I know it's hard but sometimes it's better just to be direct, saves you a lot of time and heartache!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Wow I'm glad to have found someone who's kinda in the same position! Your words are very reassuring thanks haha. I guess we just have to wait it out and see, I dunno...
    I have no idea what to do really... for me I'm hoping that things will become clear when he returns. Only Time will tell.
    In your situation he has studied in your own town, you know it was not just the travel life magic making this feel right. Maybe you should hint about your feelings, and test the waters by being very flirty? Or even just tell him the truth ... I know how hard that one is, even when they are on the other side of the world!
    I think a tardis and some gumption is what we need

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 1, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.