Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I have offers for MSc International Marketing from RGU and Strathclyde.
    And I can not choose between them. Can anyone tell me which of them is better in terms of reputation in Europe, employability of postgraduates, teaching quality etc. I would be very grateful

ReputationRep:
    Strathclyde has a far better business school, combined with the fact that it's in Glassgow a town were something is actually going on. In terms of prestige and employment Strathclyde wins hands down. Basically go to Strathclyde!

ReputationRep:
    I'm frustrated by the fact that in subject league table (Business studies) on thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk Strathclyde holds 16th place and RGU 39th place. Despite this graduates from Stratclyde has prospects of 67% and RGU graduates - 79%.
    Isn't it weird? I thought that it is the main thing that matters in the end. How do you think?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure as to the workings of the employment prospects but as your doing a masters I think they'll be less relevant as someone with a masters degree obviously has the upper hand when it comes to job applications compared to someone with a undergraduate degree.
    Also if your looking for work I'm sure being in Glasgow, a large city will be more conducive than RGU which I assume is in Aberdeen.
    I'm applying to do Undergraduate Business this year and considered Strathclyde (ruled out due to being bloody miles away from where I live). However RGU never sprung to mind as it is virtually unknown when it comes to business.
    It might be worth having a look round the institutions to see which one you fancy.
    Good luck with your decision!

The Robert Gordon University's at the top of the scale when it comes to employment rates. For an ex-polytechnic, it's certainly at the top end. However, regarding prestige, Strathclyde wins hands down.

ReputationRep:
      RGU is Scottish University of the Year...

It really depends on what YOU like. I applied to Strathclyde and I don't even like traditional universities, I chose RGU because I prefer the modern buildings.

In terms of the courses, I don't know anything about Marketing so I don't know which university has the best course content. Just think it through, make sure you do your research before making decisions.

I totally had my heart set on going to a uni in Glasgow when I was applying and making my choices and in the end, stayed in Aberdeen and I'm glad I did. Just wish I had the time to visit Glasgow more often!

ReputationRep:
      The most important thing for me in recognition of uni by employers. Of course, RGU is the best for engeniers and nurses. But I doubt if it has serious links with other industries, like media.
      However, I don't know if Strathclyde has that links either.:confused:

ReputationRep:
      By the way, does anybody know if RGU is known in London?

ReputationRep:
      I don't know for London specificaly but in England seem to have a good reputation between employers too.

I was in a similar situation for international marketing msc between strath and rgu. I choose the RGU basicaly between I preffered the content. I found it more professional focused and I was happy with my studies. RGU is very supportive with its students and it isn't difficult to find a job. I worked for few months in Aberdeen and the I went to Manchester for a marketing related job.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by alexand)
      I don't know for London specificaly but in England seem to have a good reputation between employers too.

I was in a similar situation for international marketing msc between strath and rgu. I choose the RGU basicaly between I preffered the content. I found it more professional focused and I was happy with my studies. RGU is very supportive with its students and it isn't difficult to find a job. I worked for few months in Aberdeen and the I went to Manchester for a marketing related job.
      Hi Alexand, I'm actually thinking of going to RGU (but as part of a career change, as I’m actually into education after having studying “politics”), so, I'm wondering: you said it wasn't difficult to find a job, but before your master, did you study business? Or did you come from somewhere else (like history, politics or else?).
      Do the other person in your promotion find easily too?
      Your answer would be kind of important for me, thanks

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.