The Student Room Group

Picking between my top 3 choices, should i factor league tables in?

So I have all my offers now xD (yay me)
I wanna get a headstart on finalising my choices before the may deadline..
My top three are Leicester,Leeds and Liverpool to study Genetics: the offers are ABB each.
I like Nottingham also, they offered me BBB so it shall be my insurance
I will be visiting them all so obviously that will affect my choice but besides that I've compared them and found Leicester =15th, Leeds= 26th and Liverpool = 28th..
I know league positions arent that important but what if it's like I gave up the chance of a top 15 uni..i dunno, i'm very confused..
Reply 1
Original post by Wilzyy
So I have all my offers now xD (yay me)
I wanna get a headstart on finalising my choices before the may deadline..
My top three are Leicester,Leeds and Liverpool to study Genetics: the offers are ABB each.
I like Nottingham also, they offered me BBB so it shall be my insurance
I will be visiting them all so obviously that will affect my choice but besides that I've compared them and found Leicester =15th, Leeds= 26th and Liverpool = 28th..
I know league positions arent that important but what if it's like I gave up the chance of a top 15 uni..i dunno, i'm very confused..

Those unis are all of similar 'quality' so it wouldn't effect your career prospects too much either way. If you were choosing between a very prestigious uni and a relatively known one, I would consider it, but otherwise just choose based on other factors.

Congratulations on your offers and good luck at university! :smile:
Reply 2
If your going by League tables surely Nottingham takes the edge despite it only wanting BBB.
Reply 3
Original post by M_E_X
Those unis are all of similar 'quality' so it wouldn't effect your career prospects too much either way. If you were choosing between a very prestigious uni and a relatively known one, I would consider it, but otherwise just choose based on other factors.

Congratulations on your offers and good luck at university! :smile:

Hmm okay, that's what I initially thought then was shocked to see Leeds/Liverpools placement on the table..
League tables are extremely variable - compare another one and I guarantee you those positions will have shifted. They're only good for rough groups, and that's telling you none of them are 'top' unis, but are all very good.

There really isn't much between those unis, so ignore tables and pick the one you like most.
Sure, factor it in, but don't let it influence your decisions too much - especially when you might find yourself feeling more at home in one of the universities that's lower down the league tables. Don't forget, either, that league tables fluctuate by year (excluding Oxbridge and other universities in a similar elite position) so it's probably going to be best not to make their position out to be the be all and end all of your decision making. Congratulations on your offers OP and have fun wherever you decide to take your studies! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by rugbygreg
If your going by League tables surely Nottingham takes the edge despite it only wanting BBB.

mm yeah I was just wondering if other people considered league tables that important.
I need an insurance choice though and its either nottingham with BBB or essex with BC, and I dunno if I can see myself at Essex but I can nottingham..
Nottingham is way better than the rest of those. As an additional benefit they have given you a lower offer so win win.
Reply 8
Original post by AfghanistanBananistan
Nottingham is way better than the rest of those. As an additional benefit they have given you a lower offer so win win.

You say this with a liverpool crest on your thingy lol.
Umm I guess this is your opinion, I'm gonna visit them all to make the final choice.
Reply 9
Original post by Wilzyy
You say this with a liverpool crest on your thingy lol.
Umm I guess this is your opinion, I'm gonna visit them all to make the final choice.

Visit them , if you still don't know then there's a problem. Until that time I wouldn't worry about it!
Don't 'listen' to league tables, especially if they're telling you that Leicester is ranked higher than Leeds.

Go to the open days and decide for yourself. :sigh:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending