Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Freud (The Uncanny) - Psychology or Literature? Watch

ReputationRep:
    And why? I would say Literature, because it's really a redundant psychology but the longevity of it and also the social and psychological impact (and of Freud in general).

ReputationRep:
    Someone must have an opinion... :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will_law25)
    And why? I would say Literature, because it's really a redundant psychology but the longevity of it and also the social and psychological impact (and of Freud in general).
    People have opinions, but vague questions on this forum suggest someone is looking for someone to do their their homework or write an essay for them rather than engage with an issue intellectually.

Nevertheless, I believe that it was either Rosemary Jackson or Tzvetan Todorov who suggested that 'uncanny literature' was grounded historically; that is, the likes of Sigmund Freud, Ernst Jentsch and Otto Rank developed psychological theories to systematize these occurrences from a particular period of nineteenth-century literature. Because these occurrences were then explained the literature could no longer be uncanny. I might be conflating two completely separate issues here (it is a long time since I looked at these issues and I am not going to fact check for TSR), particularly with Todorov's phraseology (the fantastic), but Freud's major example is Hoffman so I am sticking to what I have put forward at the moment.

In summary, I would suggest that you miss the point slightly; the uncanny is supposed to be historically redundant in the same way that the 'psychology of the Renaissance man' historically discontinues with the introduction of new social systems. That does not stop a psychologist creating a theory and using literature from the period to back up his point of view.

I hope I have made this clear.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.