The Student Room Group

Physiotherapy...

if anyone is doing physiotherapy - can you tell me;;

do they NHS give you a bursary enough to cover fees??

how does the funding work with NHS based degrees?

Reply 1
Yes they do. Tuition fees are covered and you get a means tested bursary payment. This is assessed in one of two ways. If you have been supporting yourself financially for 3 years or more by the start of your course, then you are assessed as an independent student. If you haven't (so if you are going in straight after A levels usually), then you will be assessed as dependent and your parents income will be taken into account. Therefore, if you come from a reasonably affluent background, you will probably get nowt.
Reply 2
But don't worry about the fees - the NHS pay your fees no matter what your parents/partner earns, that bit isn't means tested. Even if you have done a degree before they still pay.
Reply 3
Hey,

I'm starting MSc Physiotherapy in Feb and I'm in the process of applying for my NHS bursary. Do you know of any other funding that could be available to me? Everything seems to of added up to be quite expensive and I have no idea how much the NHS will help out. Thanks!
Reply 4
Original post by William_87
Hey,

I'm starting MSc Physiotherapy in Feb and I'm in the process of applying for my NHS bursary. Do you know of any other funding that could be available to me? Everything seems to of added up to be quite expensive and I have no idea how much the NHS will help out. Thanks!

As a post-grad you are entitled to a career development loan- you can get up to 10k and the interest is paid by the government until you graduate. Only Barclays and Co-op do them, and you have to apply separately.
NHS will give you means tested bursary, and pay your fees.
Find out from your university if there are any other loans or bursaries which you can get through them.
Reply 5
Original post by Ironmike
Yes they do. Tuition fees are covered and you get a means tested bursary payment. This is assessed in one of two ways. If you have been supporting yourself financially for 3 years or more by the start of your course, then you are assessed as an independent student. If you haven't (so if you are going in straight after A levels usually), then you will be assessed as dependent and your parents income will be taken into account. Therefore, if you come from a reasonably affluent background, you will probably get nowt.

Original post by Roodie
But don't worry about the fees - the NHS pay your fees no matter what your parents/partner earns, that bit isn't means tested. Even if you have done a degree before they still pay.

thanks guys :smile:

wow even with a first degree i will still get fees paid?! :redface:

im applying for 2012 for physiotherapy... id like to go next year but im already doing a first degree and do really need to finish it!!....

thanks again - if i can work out how to rep - i will :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by djk_99
As a post-grad you are entitled to a career development loan- you can get up to 10k and the interest is paid by the government until you graduate. Only Barclays and Co-op do them, and you have to apply separately.
NHS will give you means tested bursary, and pay your fees.
Find out from your university if there are any other loans or bursaries which you can get through them.

Thanks for the help, I have been looking into that just now and it looks like a very good option for me. I see for the career development loan usually is calculated as no more than 80% of course fees. Now considering we dont pay the fees I have no idea what I will need to put there as the NHS don't disclose the fees they cover?
Reply 7
well unluckily for you if your starting 2012 you will be subject to the tripling of fees and the abolishment of the NHS bursary.
Original post by honoris
well unluckily for you if your starting 2012 you will be subject to the tripling of fees and the abolishment of the NHS bursary.

Given that there will possibly, (probably almost certainly), be no jobs for nhs graduates then it seems fair that those who wish to study those courses should pay for them themselves. That way the country doesn't waste millions of pounds on fees and bursaries for training people they won't employ.
Reply 9
Hi,

Does this mean that 2011 applicants will not have to pay fees throughout their course or will they just get their first year free and have to pay from 2012 onwards?

Thanks
Reply 10
The NHS cover your fees. If you are referring to when the tuition fees rise in 2012, well who knows what will happen with NHS funding then. Will there be a third of the number of funded places? Will you have to pay something towards your course? Don't think anyone knows other than that if you have started your course in 2011, you won't have any change to your funding in the three years as far as I understand it.
Original post by honoris

proof of that assertion i.e. that fees will not be met in the current way and that the Abolition of Nursing Diploma courses means the end of all NHS bursaries ?

Quick Reply