Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'd start at Uni in 2012 and I've always really wanted to go to St Andrews, Edinburgh or Bath... but now the fees are so expensive I doubt it's going to happen.

Just wondering whether it would be cheaper to study abroad, whether it be Europe, America, Asia or Australia?

... And hopefully an English-Speaking Country could offer this? I hate non English-Speaking countries because the language barrier always makes me feel so cut off.

Thanks!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    America would be far more expensive, not sure on Asia or Austrialia. Best bet will be Europe. However you may have language problems even if the course is in English tbh

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and when I say I hate non English-Speaking countries. I didn't mean it that way. They're nice for holidays and depending on the country, they are nice!! I just wouldn't like to live there for like 4 years of my life and feeling really cut off, you know?

ReputationRep:
    bump!?

ReputationRep:
    The fees are high, but you only start to pay it back at £21,000 rather than £15,000. Research the Browne report before making your decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayyyy_x)
    I'd start at Uni in 2012 and I've always really wanted to go to St Andrews, Edinburgh or Bath... but now the fees are so expensive I doubt it's going to happen.

Just wondering whether it would be cheaper to study abroad, whether it be Europe, America, Asia or Australia?

... And hopefully an English-Speaking Country could offer this? I hate non English-Speaking countries because the language barrier always makes me feel so cut off.

Thanks!
    So learn the language. You have two years, then another three years or so when you're there (which is a perfect opportunity to learn a language an immerse yourself in the culture).

Why not Africa? Not even South Africa?

If you only want an English speaking country then the easiest thing is to first discover which countries have English as an official language (easily done - largely former British colonies so the Commonwealth is a good start) and then work from there.

Europe
    UK (plus crown dependencies and self governing territorties Jersey, Guernsey, Gibraltar etc)
    Ireland
    Malta

North America/Central America

Canada
    USA
    Antigua and Barbuda
    The Bahamas
    Barbados
    Jamaica
    Belize
    Dominica
    Grenanda

South America

Guyana

Africa

Botswana
    Cameroon
    The Gambia
    Ghana
    Kenya
    South Africa
    Nigeria
    Zimbabwe
    Lesotho
    Liberia
    Uganda
    Namibia
    Malawi
    Mauritius

Asia
    Jordan
    India
    Pakistan
    Hong Kong

Oceania

Australia
    New Zealand
    Fiji
    Kiribati
    Papau New Guinea
    Singapore

There are other counties, but I'm not naming all the Pacific Islands and things. Because English is an official language it doesn't mean it's spoken by all (it can be more widely spoken amongst countries where English doesn't have an official status) but, for those countries who do have universities, most will teach in English. (Belize, Hong Kong, the US, Canada, Singapore, Australia, NZ...) for example.

I don't think Jordan's universities teach in English (possibly wrong) although I'm fairly sure some universities in the Arab Gulf Monarchies do but living costs aren't always cheap. Or living conditions and climate tolerable for many northern Europeans.

A number of universities in the Netherlands and throughout Scandanavia offer English programmes (in fact, I think most of the degrees offered at the University of Amsterdam are taught in English). After all, not many people in the world speak Dutch!

As far as I'm aware tuition fees are cheaper (or maybe even free) in Ireland. The Irish Republic obviously. But there are additional costs to take into account as well as, as far as Dublin goes, a high cost of living. There economy's going belly up anyway.

Sounds obvious but you also need to take travelling costs into account. Even just travelling to the other side of the world and back once a year get set you back a few hundred/a grand.

Unless your parent's earn above the (as far as I'm aware still unannounced) threshold you will not need to pay the fees in full, only a proportion of the full fee. Even then you can take out a loan to cover the costs and pay it back when earning.

(Original post by Aj12)
    America would be far more expensive, not sure on Asia or Austrialia. Best bet will be Europe. However you may have language problems even if the course is in English tbh
    No, because they speak English. Go to Amsterdam, for example, and find someone who isn't fluent in English. It's impossible :p:

But seriously, the majority of the population have a fair to very fluent grasp of English particularly in the urban centres.

Yes, there will still be evidence of the Dutch language around, of course, it's not like every single sign and newspaper is in English (though there are plenty) . It's a perfect opportunity to get to learn a new language and break down any (small) barrier which does exist.

It's easy to guess Dutch words anyway especially if you know Geordie :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I remember reading somewhere that Australian fees are around £6,000 per year, but then once you've included your flights then it'll probably be more expensive because you'll be wanting to come home more than once.

Also studying abroad you don't get the forgiving student loans

ReputationRep:
    It depends where you go in America, but pretty much everywhere, especially those on par with St. Andrews or Edinburgh would be way more expensive. Compared to the US, you're paying a lot less as a local resident even with the tuition increases. I'm sure there are places in Africa that are quite cheap, not sure you'd want to go there. I know that tuition is really cheap in some European countries including Germany, and I think some universities there offer courses in English.

ReputationRep:
    I have heard that it is a lot cheaper to study in Holland or Sweden. Many institutions in those countries (and Germany) teach in English, and the tuition fees are virtually zero. I think they are 500 Euros a year in Germany.

Also Nottingham's campuses in Kuala Lumpur, Ningbo, and soon to be Shanghai might be worth a look. Dont know if you would be classed as a 'home' student if British, but I imagine they would charge less than the new £9,000, and from what I have heard the accommodation costs are ridiculously low, like £50 a year or something!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Nobody has mentioned the loan problem. If the country you are going to won't give you loans, then you will probably need £30,000 in your bank even if the tuition fees are free, excluding part time work and such. I once saw the Swedish site for loans, and you only get theirs if you have lived there for 5 years.

Many countries will provide loans for study abroad for their citizens, but the UK won't. So if you're not wealthy then you might have a very hard time.

ReputationRep:
    For what it's worth OP I looked at Ireland because of proximity to the UK. I'm looking to study Finance next year and would like to spend some time abroad.

Good points

Location - Close to home
    Language.
    Similar culture
    Fees (for Undergrad Registration fees are around €2,000 at Publicly Funded Unis)
    Dublin and Galway are great cities.
    Great Uni social life generally speaking (so I've been told)

Bad Points

Irish economy has tanked - country is in a state of depression.
    Uni Registration fees could go up again.
    Demand for Uni places is, like here, outstripping supply.
    Country is still expensive to live in (not as bad as London though I guess).

ReputationRep:
    You know that when people are considering moving thousands of miles away from everything to do their degree, just to avoid the rising fees, that people are DEFINITELY overreacting!

ReputationRep:
    Alternative would be to look at a Foreign Uni here that would allow you transfer after the first year to an overseas campus.

One that would offer a joint degree from US or Australia and a UK degree? I know some exist, American ones particularly in London, of different quality.

Prices may be a bit high. But if it were a higher quality Uni that had reasonable rates, would that be an option?

ReputationRep:

Thanks!
    I was thinking this before I sent my ucas application. Here's a nice thing I found out: University is free in Denmark if you're from a European country (UK) and there are tons of courses that are taught in english!

I decided not to apply because i'm lazy and I don't think I would of gotten in on my grades. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    My country Zambia has English uni and they are recognised around the world and our official language is English, I would say try china too am in china right now it's awesome....but thing is you will have to learn Chinese for a year or 6 months depends on how fast you are at learn hey I don't even speak much Chinese...I just know how to get to school,home,party places and shopping mores plus if you go to uni here it's really cheap and you can teach English for part time and alot of foreigners......new cultures to learn from.. But if your one of the weak guys for falls for girls you will have a dry wallet before you know it because girls here do know how to milk men.......

ReputationRep:

Thanks!
    Your best bets in Asia are the ff:

The Philippines
    Malaysia
    Singapore

The Philippines has a lot of very good schools/universities and the fees are very cheap. You can study medicine there for only about a thousand and a half pounds a year. English is widely spoken in the Philippines as it is their second language. A regular bachelor's degree (BSc or BA) at a top private university in the Philippines would come out only about a thousand pounds a year.

The top 5 universities in the Philippines are:

University of the Philippines at Diliman - www.upd.edu.ph / www.up.edu.ph
    De La Salle University - www.dlsu.edu.ph
    Ateneo de Manila University - www.admu.edu.ph
    Santo Tomas University - www.ust.edu.ph (the oldest university in Asia)
    University of San Carlos - www.usc.edu.ph (the oldest school in Asia)

Malaysia is rich of universities which have origins in foreign countries. Like the Philippines, Malaysia is a beautiful country with lots of white sand beaches. A lot of Malaysians have studied in the UK, Australia and the US, so many Malaysians can speak fluent English.

Amongst the foreign unis that have opened a campus in Malaysia are:
    University of Nottingham - Malaysia
    Monash University
    Curtin University of Technology Sarawak Campus
    Swinburne University of Technology Sarawak Campus

Singapore has :
    National University of Singapore
    Nanyang Technological University
    Singapore Management University

ReputationRep:
    If you do not have the funds already to cover tutition fees, living costs and travel, studying abroad is unlikely to be the cheaper option. Even if you are fortunate to get a scholarship to a university abroad, it is unlikely to cover everything.

When looking at tutition applicable to England based students within the UK, your repayments are tied to your income level and do not start until the April after you graduate or leave the course. Compared to other loans, these terms are generous. If the level of debt is of concern, it will be much more bearable if it is for a university of your choice and you had a good experience. Debt can be a motivator to excell in your post university employment opportunities. If you are lucky enough to earn a lot, your debt will be cleared quicker, as loan repayments are taken at source you won't really notice it. If you don't earn a lot, after 25 years it will be written off.

If you want to study abroad by preference great, but don't do it as a money saving exercise.

ReputationRep:
    Singapore and Hong Kong!

Both excellent places for uni.

ReputationRep:
    If you can get into Harvard, Yale, Princeton, or MIT, they will pay up to $45,000 of your $50,000 fees. As those prices include full board accomodation, it works out a couple of grand cheaper to study in the states than here. Of course, that, coupled with the high standard of the aforementioned institutions teaching, means that the chances are fairly slim, but its worth a shot.

ReputationRep:
    Universities might be less expensive in some countries, but you'll still be paying lots for accommodation etc. Plus, you must consider how often you'll be wanting to come home for example, at Christmas, so think about how much this would cost.
    If you want to go abroad to university then go for it, but I doubt you'll be saving yourself very much money, unless you go to some countries like France where university is very cheap.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.