Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will the rise in tuition fees from 2012 affect students studying from 2011? Watch

ReputationRep:
    As the thread title states: Does anyone actually know if the tuition fees thing means that 2011 students will have fees capped at the current fee level, or whether we'll be subject to the rise in fees from 2012 too?

I'm a little concerned that students entering university in 2011 would pay the current fees level, but in the next year would suddenly be faced with a fees increase of up to £6,000 if their university charges £9,000 per year.

The Government hasn't actually clarified this as far as I am aware, and I was just wondering if anyone would like to contribute to the discussion/question - what's happening with fee rises regarding 2011 entry students?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    No they would pay the same amount consistently through university

ReputationRep:
    I want to know the same!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charcharchar)
    No they would pay the same amount consistently through university
    So, you are saying that 2011 entry students will pay £3,359 or whatever the fees level would be in 2011 entry, for their 3 years ending up with a maximum debt of £11,000 in pure tuition fees (not including living costs, etc.) as opposed to paying £3,359 for the first year, then £6,000 or £9,000 for the second and third years?

If so = excellent.
    If not = rubbish, they need a fees freeze for 2011 students!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11483638

Students applying in 2011 who defer entry to 2012 will have to pay the increased fees, and there are concerns that there will be a rush for places in 2011 before the new regime kicks in. But students who have begun their courses before 2012 will not be affected in their later years of study.

ReputationRep:
    There is a thread on this every few days.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, JackWoot. My conscience is now soothed - on with the protests; I don't actually support the protests for what they stand for, I just enjoy the show :P

ReputationRep:
    I think that they need to maintain the current fee levels for us, as we applied not aware of the increase and thus it would be unfair to increase it for us. But that's just my opinion, not clarified from anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    Ofcourse you will be affected. Everyone else will be also. My fees are capped till 2012 but considering I'm on a four year course that means 2 years of £9000

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atomic-aaron)
    Ofcourse you will be affected. Everyone else will be also. My fees are capped till 2012 but considering I'm on a four year course that means 2 years of £9000
    not sure thats right..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by connorbrown)
    not sure thats right..
    That's what we have been formally told, and that they are considering scrapping the fourth year because no one will pay for an extra year at £9000. Fee's are capped until 2012 and then they will go up. Regardless of the fact that we will have been doing the course for 2 years at that stage.

ReputationRep:
    Nope.
    The increased fees are only for people who start uni in 2012.

ReputationRep:
    Dude read my earlier post.

ReputationRep:
    The article from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11483638 says that 2011 entries will pay the current level of fees (set at around £3,500) for their 3/4 years of their course; exempting us from any rises...

ReputationRep:
    Chill out guys. That's what the university told us, don't shoot the messenger.

ReputationRep:
    That's what we have been formally told, and that they are considering scrapping the fourth year because no one will pay for an extra year at £9000. Fee's are capped until 2012 and then they will go up. Regardless of the fact that we will have been doing the course for 2 years at that stage.
    tell them they are wrong

ReputationRep:
    bbc news said this
    Ministers intend to bring in the new system in time for it to take effect from September 2012. Students applying in 2011 who defer entry to 2012 will have to pay the increased fees, and there are concerns that there will be a rush for places in 2011 before the new regime kicks in. But students who have begun their courses before 2012 will not be affected in their later years of study.

no need to worry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chadders92)
    bbc news said this
    Ministers intend to bring in the new system in time for it to take effect from September 2012. Students applying in 2011 who defer entry to 2012 will have to pay the increased fees, and there are concerns that there will be a rush for places in 2011 before the new regime kicks in. But students who have begun their courses before 2012 will not be affected in their later years of study.

no need to worry!
    Yes if you read the thread I already posted that exact quote...

ReputationRep:
    Well UCL just said on their Open Day that in years 2 and 3 i will have to pay 9000. Poo on them!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.