Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For those students starting uni in 2012, you will have to start paying back your debt when you earn £18500. Not the £21000 the coalition keep on saying.

I'm very surprised this has not been wider reported.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-2137108.html

edit - epic fail it seems. I apologise.

ReputationRep:
    "this new system" would start in 2016 when the students leave university and not in 2012 when they start. The small change means that the £21,000 will only be worth around £18,500 in today's money due to inflation
    ...so it is still £21,000?

Who assumed it would start in 2012 anyway? I always thought it would just start when the people who start in 2012 finish :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Epic fail by myself it seems.
    Although the decision to review it every 5 years rather than every year seems a bit odd. But there we go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Epic fail by myself it seems.
    Although the decision to review it every 5 years rather than every year seems a bit odd. But there we go.
    Yep :P

I don't really get the point of the article actually. Surely people would realise that the £21k will apply only when the 2012 entrants finish uni and start earning? And I doubt many would assume that immediately when it comes into effect they would change the amount to equal £21k in today's money. Odd.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.