Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for Psychology with Cognitive Neuroscience for 2011 entry, and I visited the uni last week and loved everything about it.
    I was just wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to carry on studying a language (French) at the uni, in evenings or on certain afternoons or whatever. I know that it won't count for anything extra on top of the degree, but it's something I'd really like to do so if anyone knows anything that'd be great
    Thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    If it's not part of your course, you'll have to pay. If you don't want to pay, you could take a couple of French subsids, if your department allows you, but you will then have to actually put some effort in as it'll count towards your final results.

ReputationRep:
    You might have 'free credits' to do other modules from any school in the Uni (I think psychology students do, definitely in the first year anyway), if you do then yes it's easy to pick up.

If your course doesn't let you then you'll have to pay.

ReputationRep:
    you definitely can for physics, and i think it counts to your degree. not sure if it's the same for all subjects though but they said (for physics) as long as there aren't any schedule clashes it's fine.

ReputationRep:
    My friend is studying Physics at Nott and he couldn't take languages alongside his degree.
    Not that he has any time left over anyway :P

ReputationRep:
    It definitely is!

All the information you should need can be found @ http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/language...ing/index.aspx

If you have optional modules lines in your course, and your school lets you, then you can take language modules as part of your degree for free.

Otherwise, you can take evening classess for a student-priced fee of around £120/term, including teaching, support, resources, exams; in one semester, you'd expect to complete one stage as described on the web pages IIRC

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    It definitely is!

All the information you should need can be found @ http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/language...ing/index.aspx

If you have optional modules lines in your course, and your school lets you, then you can take language modules as part of your degree for free.

Otherwise, you can take evening classess for a student-priced fee of around £120/term, including teaching, support, resources, exams; in one semester, you'd expect to complete one stage as described on the web pages IIRC
    This is sound advice.

ReputationRep:
    You can I'm studying Politics and learning French using my free credits

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou all i really appreciate the help

ReputationRep:
    my housemate does the same degree as you and she definitely got 20 free credits...but she took it in a psychology subject (I don't think they force you to do it within your school though, she just wanted to stick to psychology). In my first year I did an Italian subsid and wanna continue it next year perhaps. Its £140 a term and my Italian lessons were during the day but I think you can get some evening ones.

So yeah it is possible. We also have a massive language resource centre where you can practice yourself.

ReputationRep:
    I've been thinking about this too. I'm planning on either continuing my German and French or learning an Asian language. Should be fun!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.