Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    'Cameron accused Labour and student leaders of "peddling fantasy politics" by "pretending there's a bottomless pit of money we can dig into".' Well actually, Dave, there is. All you have to do is collect some of the £120-billion that is owed to the Treasury by tax dodgers.

Seems like this would be "real change".

ReputationRep:
    source?

Also you'd still be £35bn short...

ReputationRep:
    Also people forget that tax avoidance is legal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    source?

Also you'd still be £35bn short...
    I doubt there's a real source, who can you put a figure on Bankers tax evasion?
    I reckon it's a big number though :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Low Profile)
    I doubt there's a real source, who can you put a figure on Bankers tax evasion?
    I reckon it's a big number though :rolleyes:
    Awesome stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F i s)
    'Cameron accused Labour and student leaders of "peddling fantasy politics" by "pretending there's a bottomless pit of money we can dig into".' Well actually, Dave, there is. All you have to do is collect some of the £120-billion that is owed to the Treasury by tax dodgers.

Seems like this would be "real change".
    120 billion is hardly bottomless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by italienmoose)
    120 billion is hardly bottomless.
    Eh?

Its the equivalent of a 12%+ rise in VAT AND 15p+ on the basic rate of income tax

Thats pretty bottomless...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Eh?

Its the equivalent of a 12%+ rise in VAT AND 15p+ on the basic rate of income tax

Thats pretty bottomless...
    So if £120 billion is deemed to be a bottomles pile of money then that means the government's total expenditure is 5.7 bottomles piles of money per year. Looks like a bit of a limit to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by italienmoose)
    So if £120 billion is deemed to be a bottomles pile of money then that means the government's total expenditure is 5.7 bottomles piles of money per year. Looks like a bit of a limit to me.
    Well since a bottomless pit is impossible that point seems rather mute.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.