Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Since the beginning of our 1st year this girl and I used to always work on our essays together, read each others to look out for mistakes etc. She used to be keen on doing so, in fact it was even her idea. However, the other day, we did it again and when she returned mine I could just tell she didn't read all of it - there were obvious errors which most people would have spotted.

I find this incredibly selfish and rude. We have quite a few more short assignments to do and I know she's gonna ask. What shall I say?

PS. We were quite close, eg a lot of texting, calling etc.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe she is worried about getting in trouble for collusion. Do your own assignments!

ReputationRep:
    Don't rely on others to work for you. They'll do a sloppy job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uni2013)
    Since the beginning of our 1st year this girl and I used to always work on our essays together, read each others to look out for mistakes etc. She used to be keen on doing so, in fact it was even her idea. However, the other day, we did it again and when she returned mine I could just tell she didn't read all of it - there were obvious errors which most people would have spotted.

I find this incredibly selfish and rude. We have quite a few more short assignments to do and I know she's gonna ask. What shall I say?

PS. We were quite close, eg a lot of texting, calling etc.
    If it was just this one essay I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe she had other things on her mind and just didn't have enough time to read through it all.

But if she's been doing it quite a lot then just tell her you won't look at her work again if she doesn't look at yours.

I wouldn't bother ruining the friendship over it though!

ReputationRep:
    Probably just got something on her mind? Next time, say stuff like like 'are you sure it's OK?', 'have I missed anything?'.

ReputationRep:
    When it comes to your work, I'd check for mistakes yourself.

Can't trust anyone else to do so, really.. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just do the same to hers?

ReputationRep:
    If its a one time thing she probably got bored. I know I would - after a while.

ReputationRep:
    Just be subtle about it, maybe wait and see if she does it again, because you're right if you're friends and have an agreement to proof read each others work she could at least put a little effort it. Make a little hint with the next piece, since she's a pretty close friend then she shouldn't take it personally

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xnatalie01x)
    When it comes to your work, I'd check for mistakes yourself.

Can't trust anyone else to do so, really.. :rolleyes:
    Of course I do and do so many times, but theres no harm in getting another set of eyes to look over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrangeSocks)
    Why don't you just do the same to hers?
    Cos this was the first time.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 1, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.