Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been trying to lead a healthier lifestyle recently and have been going to the gym about 4 times a week doing a mixture of high intensity cardio and strength training and because im trying to lose a few pounds as well ive been having a 1500 calorie diet(3 meals with 3 healthy, low cal snacks) untill i reach my goal weight. I'm currently 5"6 and weigh around 136lbs and would ideally like to lose around 10lbs.

I've read quite a bit about dieting and nutrition etc and its so confusing because everything contradicts everything else. Basically i get really hungry around about 4-6 in the afternoon and end up wanting to snack but i'm worried that the extra snacking will stop me getting rid of those few 'unwanted' pounds but then some places say if your hungry you should eat because otherwise it will slow your metabolism and have the opposite effect. Ive tried drinking lots of water, slightly increasing my portion sizes and subtituting different foods but i really don't know what to do. Should i eat to keep my metabolism going or should i try to ignore the hunger in order to lose weight?

Also How much is BMR effected by exercising regularly?

Thank you for the help

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about BMR, that changes (almost literally) with the weather.

What's your average daily diet like? Foods?

(Original post by SMed)

What do you mean?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by sleekchic)
      What do you mean?
      BMR changes all the time. If you eat more food, it goes up. If you eat less food, it goes up. If you exercise more, it goes up... etc. I was being facetious with the weather, somewhat. But if you are in extremely cold or hot weather, your BMR goes up to regulate body temperature.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by SMed)

I think i have a pretty healthy diet for a student. I have cereal in the morning, either weetabix, special k or porridge with some fruit or glass of OJ. Then ill have fruit for a snack around 11. For lunch i have a sandwich (wholemeal bread) or salad with chicken/ham, low fat mayo or soup. The afternoon i have houmous and pitta bread or more fruit on a good day but some days i slip up and have some chocolate biscuits or something else sweet. Dinner i have grilled white meat or fish usually with steamed vegetables and if i have been to the gym ill have brown rice or pasta or sweet potato then i have a low fat yoghurt or if i fancy something sweet ill have some ice cream.

Thanks for your help x

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.