Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok, basically today we were discussing whether Heathcliff was a villain or a hero. I'm just wondering as to what you guys think and why.

ReputationRep:
    Depends which part of the novel you are talking about? Overall I think he's a hero.

ReputationRep:
    Neither. I see him as a confused and angry man. Although I can understand arguments as to how 'society turned him into a villain'... not sure how he would qualify as a hero.

ReputationRep:
    I bet this is for an essay. THINK OF YOUR OWN POINTS.

For the record, he's a hero, was oppressed when he was a child, yet managed to rise above his station, gained an incredible amount of power and became a symbol of the modern man. Plus he kept that Catherine ***** wrapped round his finger.

ReputationRep:
    I see him as a victim of circumstance.

He's not a hero, and I don't believe he would ever really be a hero, he has done too many things wrong (such as hanging Isabella's dog. . . there was no need) but he is certainly not the villain everyone makes him out to be.. .

ReputationRep:
    He's a really ambiguous character and isn't too well developed, which makes it hard to specify whether he's a villian or hero. Tbh those terms are too polarised for him, i'd say that he has elements of both and is, like someone else stated, a victim of circumstance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nucleolus)
    I bet this is for an essay. THINK OF YOUR OWN POINTS.

For the record, he's a hero, was oppressed when he was a child, yet managed to rise above his station, gained an incredible amount of power and became a symbol of the modern man. Plus he kept that Catherine ***** wrapped round his finger.
    What is this essay you speak of?

Anyway, I honestly believe Heathcliff was a hero. The narrative Nelly had was clearly biased and he never disrespected Nelly throughout the novel. He also got revenge on the people who had affected him although what he did to Hareton was uncalled for...

ReputationRep:
    Anti-Hero!

ReputationRep:
    I'd lean more towards hero, or at least an antihero.

ReputationRep:
    He's a Byronic Hero- we just love to hate him!

ReputationRep:
    My old enemies have not beaten me; now would be the precise time to revenge myself on their representatives-I could do it, and none could hinder me. But where is the use? I don't care for striking, I can't take the trouble to raise my hand.

Can anyone give me a brief detailed explanation as to what this means? I know it's heathcliff stopping his revenge but I need to know the exact meaning. Any help is appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    well he starts as a victim, and being rejected by someone who you think of as your soul (to marry someone like Edgar!) must hurt, so he does have some excuses... but no-one with half a heart could do what he did to isabella and linton and then young cathy. and to top it all off, he kills the birds in the nest! i mean, who would do that?

(i actually like him as a character... i jsut don't think i'd like to meet him :rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diabolic99)
    My old enemies have not beaten me; now would be the precise time to revenge myself on their representatives-I could do it, and none could hinder me. But where is the use? I don't care for striking, I can't take the trouble to raise my hand.
    i think... he's clinging on to his old feelings of revenge out of habit of showing he won't back down (once he came back after his 3 years, he doesn't back down to anyone except catherine). but his only aim in life was catherine, and now the feeling of revenge against those who took her away from him is being overwhelmed by the feeling of reaching her again in death. 'i don't care for striking' - he only cares for catherine, especially now there is no-one to stuggle against him - everyone is submissive, which means he has nothing to strive against and no reason to live.

well that's my interpretation

ReputationRep:
    Diabolical.

Heathcliff is a Che Guevara type figure, loved despite monstrosity.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.