Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, if this is the wrong place then sorry, i thought this was the most appropiate place to post this.

Now i was just wondering, i'm currently in year 12, and im hoping to do a degree based around Biology, what have people who are applying this year been doing in terms of work experience? Extra reading? etc.

Im a bit stuck as in what extra I could do, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow_kisses)
    Firstly, if this is the wrong place then sorry, i thought this was the most appropiate place to post this.

Now i was just wondering, i'm currently in year 12, and im hoping to do a degree based around Biology, what have people who are applying this year been doing in terms of work experience? Extra reading? etc.

Im a bit stuck as in what extra I could do, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

I have just applied to university and received all five offers yay
    basically I used to want to be a vet, so a lot of my personal statement contained information about the work experience I undertook with animals. however some of it did relate quite well to biology, as I did learn some stuff about animal behavior etc.

what area of biology are you interested in? plants? animals? neuroscience? anatomy?

I wouldn't worry much about extra reading, after I read loads of statements online I was contemplating getting some of the famous biology books out like 'The Selfish Gene' and 'The Language of the Genes'. but I knew I wouldn't be true to myself if I said I was fascinated by it, so all I mentioned was 'The Big Picture', a biology magazine (free) that I sometimes took a look at. to be truthful, during my interview at Manchester, they weren't particularly picky over every little detail in my statement but you should definitely be honest about your interests

it is very hard to get work experience directly related to a science degree (stupid health and safety haha) but anything like school competitions, science fayres etc, all show an awareness and aptitude for the subject!

let me know if you have any more questions

ReputationRep:
    Hey I've applied for Microbiology, and similar degrees (such as infectious diseases).

In my personal statement I wrote about how I did approx 16 weeks of work experience (mostly through 2 summer holidays) at a Biotechnology company near my home. Obviously alot of it was observing in the labs etc as the company works to a GMP standard (basically the highest level of sanity - used for drug development and clinical trials etc - very strict and specific!!) but last summer i got to do a 6 week project during summer as i was awarded a bursary by an organisation called Nuffield. So alot of my p.s was based around that. (of course also involving my extra curricular activities and my attributes, how i get on at school etc)

In terms of your own personal statement though, i would just emphasise any type of experience you have with the subject to let them know you're passionate and ambitious about the course you want to study! I'm pretty sure if you seem quite wishy-washy they wont be too sure of you, they are going to be wanting hard workers and people who are going to be an asset to their university. I would also mention that you are aware of the skills you'll be able to gain from the course etc and how you can use them to your full potential

Hope this helped, I had to ask teachers and family friends for advice on my personal statement too - its definately very difficult to talk about yourself, as well as make it relevant to the university and the course!
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Quite exceptional to get a Nuffield bursary as a sixth former! Well done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow_kisses)

I'm in year 13 and have just been applying for biology at Uni, I got 4 offers and a rejection from oxford (ah well)

Like the person above, I also did a Nuffield bursary project in year 12 (at Imperial College) and I would really recommend it to anyone thinking of doing the sciences at uni Ironically, my year 11 work experience that my school organised for me also turned out to be vaguely related (I was working on the grounds staff at a local independant boys school )

I didn't actually include extra reading in my PS aside from reading biological sciences review magazine as I didn't really have space! I chose instead to talk more about the experience I had at Imperial and also from other personal experiences (school field trips, family holidays, duke of edinburgh expeditions... its amazing what you can link in!)

TBH I don't know if my PS was actually that good... but it worked for me!

ReputationRep:
    I managed to observe people working in a pathology lab in a hospital. Only because a mate works there though. Can't hurt to ask your local hospitals / send them letters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nachoface)
    I'm in year 13 and have just been applying for biology at Uni, I got 4 offers and a rejection from oxford (ah well)

Like the person above, I also did a Nuffield bursary project in year 12 (at Imperial College) and I would really recommend it to anyone thinking of doing the sciences at uni TBH I don't know if my PS was actually that good... but it worked for me!
    Congrats on the offers, could you tell us where from?. Would you mind telling us your gcse grades and AS levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :))
    Congrats on the offers, could you tell us where from?. Would you mind telling us your gcse grades and AS levels?
    Thanks
    The offers were:
    Durham: ABB
    Warwick: ABB
    Southampton: BBB
    Nottingham ABB

My GCSEs: 6A*s 4As
    AS levels: 5 As in Maths, Bio, Chem, RS and Critical Thinking
    Predicted A2s: As in Bio, chem and RS, A* in Maths

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.