Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Decisions and Advice Needed on University Situation watch

I've just started my first year at University and am living at halls. I live in a flat with 7 other girls. Essentially, I'm really not happy living here.

2 of them spend very, very minimal time with the rest of the group because essentially, they prefer other people's company then ours.
    1 of them does an intensive course and is never around.
    Another 2 are international students and pretty much do their own thing.

That leaves me and two other girls and, whilst I can communiate with them and hold down a conversation with them, they're just not my type of people, and I'm left feeling like I don't fit in and am not comfortable here. The flat is boring, I haven't been out nearly as much as I'd like to, I'm not having the freshers experience I wanted and I'm miserable. I have made friends with people in other flats and I know that I'm very much welcome, but they spend so much time with one another that they're clearly closer, and if I'm honest, I want my own flat, not to have to latch on to other people's.

I'm really not sure what to do. Should I see if I can move in to different halls? Is it too late to do that? Or should I just stick it out. I've been hoping for the past 2 and a half months that it'll get better, and whilst it has, it's ultimately a crap situation.

I have joined societies and I suppose I can see myself making friends through them, but obviously that's going to take longer. I've been missing lots of lectures so this semester I lost my chance at making friends through them, but I really am a fairly friendly person and I can old down a conversation, so I'm hoping in terms of coursemates I haven't all together missed the boat, and next semester I can do some damage control. ...or am I being naive :lolwut: I can have soc mates and coursemates, but I'm really not sure if that will compensate entirely for flatmates?

Can anyone offer any advice, and anyone that has been in a similar situation before tell me abit about their experience, and hopefully their light at the end of the tunnel

anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've just started my first year at University and am living at halls. I live in a flat with 7 other girls. Essentially, I'm really not happy living here.

2 of them spend very, very minimal time with the rest of the group because essentially, they prefer other people's company then ours.
    1 of them does an intensive course and is never around.
    Another 2 are international students and pretty much do their own thing.

That leaves me and two other girls and, whilst I can communiate with them and hold down a conversation with them, they're just not my type of people, and I'm left feeling like I don't fit in and am not comfortable here. The flat is boring, I haven't been out nearly as much as I'd like to, I'm not having the freshers experience I wanted and I'm miserable. I have made friends with people in other flats and I know that I'm very much welcome, but they spend so much time with one another that they're clearly closer, and if I'm honest, I want my own flat, not to have to latch on to other people's.

I'm really not sure what to do. Should I see if I can move in to different halls? Is it too late to do that? Or should I just stick it out. I've been hoping for the past 2 and a half months that it'll get better, and whilst it has, it's ultimately a crap situation.

I have joined societies and I suppose I can see myself making friends through them, but obviously that's going to take longer. I've been missing lots of lectures so this semester I lost my chance at making friends through them, but I really am a fairly friendly person and I can old down a conversation, so I'm hoping in terms of coursemates I haven't all together missed the boat, and next semester I can do some damage control. ...or am I being naive :lolwut: I can have soc mates and coursemates, but I'm really not sure if that will compensate entirely for flatmates?

Can anyone offer any advice, and anyone that has been in a similar situation before tell me abit about their experience, and hopefully their light at the end of the tunnel
    I think people have too high expectations of uni life, especially halls life and how everyone parties it up 24/7 in their flats and whatnot - tbh not everyone has these experiences and who says it even matters? I think as long as you don't have any major problems with these people you live with, everything will be ok - you'll probably have more to talk to them about the more you see of eachother around the flat, just let things happen naturally and don't think about it too much. Even if you don't become amazing friends by the end of the year no worries, theres people on your course (who youll be probably a lot closer with by the end of your undergrad years) and home friends etc. As long as you're not a complete loner I don't see a reason for you to worry!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 1, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.