Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello! Am new to this forum, but can see that a lot of you are currently applying for your PGCE's. I am currently uncertaking my PGCE at the university of Greenwich and would like to warn you all away!!!

I think I have had a total of 6 weeks of teaching not including my placement weeks. So far we have not been given any definite dates for when our essays/audits are due in and our tutors do not bother to email back on a regular basis with any help. I had two lectures where the lecturers turned up late whizzed through the lecture slides in 30 mins - she was very out of breath - and excused herself with twenty minutes left of the lecture. She gave no explanation why she was late or why she had to leave early and did not take any questions, I have since emailed her and not got any response.

They did not prepare us at all for our first placement (which I have just completed) and we more or less had to start from scratch with the planning and assessment. A lot of head teachers from schools we were at complained about Greenwich and the quality of the students it turns out - which made us feel dreadful.

I thought this was bad, but in the last week a couple of things have happened to friends on the course which I personally thought was disgusting. A friend's grandad died and they demanded a death certificate!!! Apparently anybody could walk in and say that a member of the family had died - they said this to her face!

Another friend's mother died - she was very young and had no illnesses. The poor girl emailed around the uni after getting no response from her personal tutor, to ask for advice on what to do to no avail. In the end she rang her tutor and he clearly wasn't bothered and told her to 'errr, miss some lectures' We have all rallied round to tryand help the poor girl out.

Whenever we have a question about anythign to do with the course or work, we get an 'err i'm not sure, i'll check'

Whoa! That feels better!!! Rant over!

All in all the children and the fun of teaching make putting up with this shambles of a university worth it! But if you are applying here try lookign about a bit more first.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Edit - general university organisation is another totally different story on the other hand :p:

I started my PGCE at Greenwich last year and I have to say that this doesn't reflect my experience of the course or the tutors. I knew when all my essays were due in at the beginning of the year - they were detailed in our course booklets. FYI our audits were not due til the end, altho we had to fill in our initial audits online at some point (can't remember when exactly). It's best to just get it done tbh so you have it ready.

I never had (and nor did anyone I know) have any bad news like that and I'm sorry to hear about their experiences, but when I had issues with my placements the tutors I contacted were more than helpful. The only issue I did have was finding a placement for this term, but that is sorted now.

I felt that the tutors prepared you for placement (there is only a certain length of time between starting the course and going into school) and tbh I don't think any amount of uni can fully prepare you for being in school. You don't have to start teaching right away and the class teacher/mentor and link tutor are there to prepare and support you too. The schools I have been to speak highly of Greenwich and almost all my friends who finished the course in June got jobs at the end of it. I never had issues with tutors being late either

I'm not saying it's a perfect course (there are many factors that affect that) but I certainly wouldnt warn people away from it. For those of you who are applying to Greenwich, I would say that you shouldn't worry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oscarsbaby)
    I thought this was bad, but in the last week a couple of things have happened to friends on the course which I personally thought was disgusting. A friend's grandad died and they demanded a death certificate!!! Apparently anybody could walk in and say that a member of the family had died - they said this to her face!
    At any university (or job!) in the country you would be required to show a death certificate if someone close to you died and it meant that you had to take time off or it impacted on your study. Unfortunately we live in an age where yes, people do fake deaths and illnesses more often than you'd think. Therefore, it is expected that people do provide proof of the event happening through a certificate.

This isn't anything bad to do with Greenwich like you're trying to make out. Yes, perhaps their response could have been a little more tactful but asking for a death certificate is standard practise and something you should expect to have to provide in the same way that if you're ill you have to provide a doctors note.

As has been said, nothing you can talk about in uni will prepare you for being in school as I'm sure you'll know all too well. You could spend an entire term in uni before entering a school looking at lesson plan ideas, but you'd still be in at the deep end once you got to school as everywhere will do it differently than the model you'd been taught in uni anyway. Its a PGCE, its one year, you are just thrown in at the deep end and expected to sink or swim. A lot of your experiences on placement are totally down to your placement school, class and mentor. It has nothing to do with the university, meaning I don't see how you can expect them to do planning with you before you've been in school as yes, you are on your own in that department as you liaise with your teacher rather than the university.

I'm not saying that Greenwich is a fantastic university (I've never been) more that these are my observations on your comments as a PGCE student elsewhere in relation to what I've experienced and expected from the year.

ReputationRep:
    Hi xKTx,

As you are due to finish your course, I was just after a bit of advice about the PGCE at Greenwich University.

Can you tell me how many places there are on the course, I am concerned that the more students there are, the more competition there will be for NQT positions at the end of the academic year.

Also, are you finding it difficult to gain an NQT position? Are there many opportunities in the area? Is Greenwich University highly regarded by head teachers?

I would really appreciate some guidance.

Thanks,
    Winty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Winty)
    Hi xKTx,

As you are due to finish your course, I was just after a bit of advice about the PGCE at Greenwich University.

Can you tell me how many places there are on the course, I am concerned that the more students there are, the more competition there will be for NQT positions at the end of the academic year.

Also, are you finding it difficult to gain an NQT position? Are there many opportunities in the area? Is Greenwich University highly regarded by head teachers?

Thanks,
    Winty
    I went for an interview a few weeks ago (still waiting for a response) and they said that they will have 50-100 extra places in addition to their standard numbers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SundayGirl.)
    I went for an interview a few weeks ago (still waiting for a response) and they said that they will have 50-100 extra places in addition to their standard numbers.

Oooh, hopefully that will mean I get a place but the competition element is still concerning me.

Thanks for the reply SundayGirl.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Winty)
    Hi xKTx,

Thanks,
    Winty
    When I applied, there were 120 places I believe. It varies every year tho, so there's no point in comparing my experience to yours. As for jobs, given that it's in London, there are plenty of jobs around, so plenty of chances to get jobs. It does depend on how picky you are (for example, I didn't want to work in a one-form entry school, or an infant/junior school). I don't know about all schools, but the ones I went to spoke highly of Greenwich and the vast majority of my friends got jobs this sort of time last year, so it certainly can't be that bad!

ReputationRep:
    Thank God, just got an unconditional offer from Greenwich!!

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations SundayGirl, hopefully we'll see each other September! :-)

Thanks for the information xKTx, it seems as though so many people are happy to slate the University so it's nice to hear some positive comments!

Winty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    At any university (or job!) in the country you would be required to show a death certificate if someone close to you died and it meant that you had to take time off or it impacted on your study. Unfortunately we live in an age where yes, people do fake deaths and illnesses more often than you'd think. Therefore, it is expected that people do provide proof of the event happening through a certificate.

This isn't anything bad to do with Greenwich like you're trying to make out. Yes, perhaps their response could have been a little more tactful but asking for a death certificate is standard practise and something you should expect to have to provide in the same way that if you're ill you have to provide a doctors note.

As has been said, nothing you can talk about in uni will prepare you for being in school as I'm sure you'll know all too well. You could spend an entire term in uni before entering a school looking at lesson plan ideas, but you'd still be in at the deep end once you got to school as everywhere will do it differently than the model you'd been taught in uni anyway. Its a PGCE, its one year, you are just thrown in at the deep end and expected to sink or swim. A lot of your experiences on placement are totally down to your placement school, class and mentor. It has nothing to do with the university, meaning I don't see how you can expect them to do planning with you before you've been in school as yes, you are on your own in that department as you liaise with your teacher rather than the university.

I'm not saying that Greenwich is a fantastic university (I've never been) more that these are my observations on your comments as a PGCE student elsewhere in relation to what I've experienced and expected from the year.
    I realise you wrote this months ago but I've just seen it. I've never heard of this death certificate thing before, my Mum died when I was at uni and I just emailed my tutor who was v sympathetic and arranged for me to have essay extensions and take my exams later than normal etc. Equally I'm sure my Dad didn't have to show her death certificate to get time off work.

Sounds a bit insensitive to me. Do people REALLY lie about relatives dying to get an extension on an essay or whatever?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by modgepodge)
    I realise you wrote this months ago but I've just seen it. I've never heard of this death certificate thing before, my Mum died when I was at uni and I just emailed my tutor who was v sympathetic and arranged for me to have essay extensions and take my exams later than normal etc. Equally I'm sure my Dad didn't have to show her death certificate to get time off work.

Sounds a bit insensitive to me. Do people REALLY lie about relatives dying to get an extension on an essay or whatever?
    Actually, it's quite common at a lot of universities. For my undergrad degree (at a different uni) tutors warned us about this during our induction. Although I agree, it can seem quite insensitive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by modgepodge)

Unfortunately, they do... people do all sorts of bizarre thigs. On a slightly related not, I had a wonderful moment when I was standing in the queue for lunch at one of the campus eating places, and a girl in front of me was moaning about how it was so unfair that she didn't get an essay extention becuase she had a cold. I rather pointedly informed her that my father had just died a week ago (I had just got back to uni after taking a week off to do the necessary stuff) and of four essays, I had only one extention. the rest were in on time.

On the subject, though, i did give one of my departments a death certificate: they were very nice about it, and it was only because of the extention, not the time off. They didn't ask for it straight away, and said that if I didn't mind, it would mean that all the necessary paperwork would get through quicker, and there would be less questions asked about why I needed the extention.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, just to let you know greenwich september starters have got a facebook group now so if you want to join just type "University of Greenwich Primary PGCE 2011/12" into the search bar and send a request =).

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have been invited for an interview at Greenwich. Can anyone please tell me what are the maths and the literacy tests. My interview is in four days

ReputationRep:
    Hi, can anyone please tell me how many days per week uni placement take? I am thinking whether I could get a part time job while doing the PGCE or not...thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.