Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I looking at Uni's atm and im trying to decide between Product Design or Graphic Design.

I have art, pyschology and drama A-levels.

i just wanted to know about people maybe applying to the course or who are doing the courses what their like? what you have to do? if its fun etc etc? None of my friends do any of these subjects so i cant really ask any of them?!

please help..

also i dont have very high grades so looking at places like loughborough although are excellent for the courses i wont get in!

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lalalastar)
    Hi,

I looking at Uni's atm and im trying to decide between Product Design or Graphic Design.

I have art, pyschology and drama A-levels.

i just wanted to know about people maybe applying to the course or who are doing the courses what their like? what you have to do? if its fun etc etc? None of my friends do any of these subjects so i cant really ask any of them?!

please help..

also i dont have very high grades so looking at places like loughborough although are excellent for the courses i wont get in!

thanks
    Product Design involves designing, well, products, so physical, 3D objects. I did product design A Level which involved 3D modelling by hand and on the computer, learning about materials and manufacturing processes and applying them appropriately, I assume a degree course will be similar but I'm no authority on that.

I do Graphic Design at uni and this involves basically 2D work - specifics will depend on individual courses but it can generally encompass anything from design for print, illustration, typography, animation/interactive design, photography, web design and advertising.
    My guess is as you're doing art you might be more interested in that sort of thing Pyschology would also be quite useful in terms of doing something like advertising too.

With regards to grades, for design courses generally your portfolio is more important, though you'll need about 240 ucas points (my course did anyway). Some courses prefer you to have an art foundation too, just something to bear in mind.
    If you have any more questions about Graphic Design I'd be happy to help.

ReputationRep:
    ohh thank you both of you !

jimmyface! where did you go to do graphic design? im looking at winchester, bath spa, portsmouth and nott trent!

alsoo whats your timetable like? and course mates etc?

alsoo i'm starting to feel like i migh not be good enough to do graphics are there many students who arrive thinking they wont be great but are just encouraged alot?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lalalastar)
    ohh thank you both of you !

jimmyface! where did you go to do graphic design? im looking at winchester, bath spa, portsmouth and nott trent!

alsoo whats your timetable like? and course mates etc?

alsoo i'm starting to feel like i migh not be good enough to do graphics are there many students who arrive thinking they wont be great but are just encouraged alot?

thanks

I'm at sheffield hallam I applied for nottingham trent too - when I went for an open day they said 95% of people they let onto the course have foundation, so if you're really keen on going there that's probably a wise option. I don't know anything about any of the others, sorry.

my timetable changes according to what modules I'm doing, currently I have no teaching on wednesdays and am in for a couple of hours on the other days, currently juggling 3 projects at once.
    my coursemates are generally nice, I can't speak for other unis or courses but in general if you're friendly other people will be too.

I totally felt like that when I was applying, loads of people do I bet. the first year was basically spent getting everyone to a similar skill level after they've come from different places, so A Levels, foundation, BTEC etc. also hallam does an extended degree program, basically where you do the course with an in-built foundation year, the places you're applying to might also do this.

while I can only speak for hallam on this, my tutors are all really nice and encouraging and criticism is always given constructively. I was terrified of crits at first but you get used to it, it's part of the degree that you learn how to talk about and critique your work and others'.

hope that helps

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.