Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi.
    In ICT we're working in a group on a project (AICT5), and we were all told to use a method of communication between members. So we used WordPress. Other teams used http://www.wikispaces.com etc.

But we need to take the files into the exam, and the other teams can just download theirs as a .zip full of HTML files. We can't. We need a server technology to power WP.

So here's my question:

1. Is it possible to run WordPress without server technology (just on a PC), and how?
    2. Is there a way of taking my entire wordpress site, and turning it into static HTML?

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
    Dave Harrison

ReputationRep:
    You could install Apache, PHP and MySQL on the machine, and run it off that, by using something like Wamp Server or XAMPP... they both pretty much do the same thing.

As long as you can get hold of an SQL dump of the database your current Wordpress is running on, copying it over should be fairly trivial.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by david.harrison1992)
    Hi.
    In ICT we're working in a group on a project (AICT5), and we were all told to use a method of communication between members. So we used WordPress. Other teams used http://www.wikispaces.com etc.

But we need to take the files into the exam, and the other teams can just download theirs as a .zip full of HTML files. We can't. We need a server technology to power WP.

So here's my question:

1. Is it possible to run WordPress without server technology (just on a PC), and how?
    2. Is there a way of taking my entire wordpress site, and turning it into static HTML?

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
    Dave Harrison
    Try this:

http://www.httrack.com/

(It is a website downloader- exactly what you asked for- with a Windows version available)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex-hs)
    You could install Apache, PHP and MySQL on the machine, and run it off that, by using something like Wamp Server or XAMPP... they both pretty much do the same thing.

As long as you can get hold of an SQL dump of the database your current Wordpress is running on, copying it over should be fairly trivial.
    Damn you beat me to it, you should use wamp or xampp, they are both the same type of application but will do everything yu what, also really user friendly with the guide
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by MylesXD)
    Damn you beat me to it, you should use wamp or xampp, they are both the same type of application but will do everything yu what, also really user friendly with the guide
    That sounds like overkill- why not just use a web crawler?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roblee)
    Surely web crawlers don't work fully with PHP sites?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by -WhySoSerious?)
    Surely web crawlers don't work fully with PHP sites?
    If the actual content is stationary there is no difference as far as the client can see between a PHP site and an HTML site- for an example of this Google's bots don't seem to have any problems indexing WP sites, as they have (mostly) static content and permanent article addresses.
    The crawler I linked to parses an HTML DOM for outside references on the same server and crawls them likewise until all data has been downloaded. Some do rely on fixed resource addresses (those that retrieve directory listings directly) but these are in the minority.

ReputationRep:
    If the actual content is stationary there is no difference as far as the client can see between a PHP site and an HTML site- for an example of this Google's bots don't seem to have any problems indexing WP sites, as they have (mostly) static content and permanent article addresses.
    The crawler I linked to parses an HTML DOM for outside references on the same server and crawls them likewise until all data has been downloaded. Some do rely on fixed resource addresses (those that retrieve directory listings directly) but these are in the minority.
    Actually, just checked out the program you linked and it's awesome - puts everything back together even with javascript etc perfectly...didn't even know that could be done!

Will definitely be using this when I need a specific site to research and I have no internet on the train, repped

ReputationRep:
    haha never heard of it, you got link?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by MylesXD)
    haha never heard of it, you got link?
    Yes, the one I recommend is this one since it has a Windows version available (which I assume is what most people use)
    Try this:

http://www.httrack.com/

ReputationRep:
    Yes, all you need to do is download XAMPP AKA LAMPP.

It includes a MySQL and PHP server, which is what you need to run WP.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.