Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm a third year English Lit undergrad at Manchester Uni, looking to do an MA next year. The only trouble is I really don't know if my marks are good enough!

I averaged 64% in my second year and hoped to achieve something like 67/68 % this year. However, my essay marks for this year so far aren't great, having got a 2:2 for one of them.

I know there will be time to pull the marks back but it has thrown me into a complete tizz over my plans to apply for an MA, are these poor marks going to ruin my application? I am still confident I will achieve 65%+ overall and have got 1st's in the past so know I am capable of working at a high level.

Should I pursue my plans or just admit defeat? Any advice would be appriciated

ReputationRep:
    You know personally if you're good enough or not. If you're not now, persist, you'll make it!

Admitting defeat is just unacceptable when you know you can do it.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't give up just yet. Most English MA's need a 2:1 or higher, so you should be okay with the marks you've got. Where are you thinking of applying to?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies

At the moment I'm thinking of applying for a course at Manchester and one at Goldsmiths, they do specify that a 2:1 is acceptable but I thought that most people who applied would have a 1st and so I'd be less likely to be acccepted?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryStudent)
    Thanks for the replies

At the moment I'm thinking of applying for a course at Manchester and one at Goldsmiths, they do specify that a 2:1 is acceptable but I thought that most people who applied would have a 1st and so I'd be less likely to be acccepted?
    With regards to your transcript, your third year marks are unlikely to be included on it at this point, though Manchester will obviously be able to tell how you are doing, so I would not worry about that. Nevertheless, to use myself as an example to hopefully alleviate your fears: my first year marks were awful (one 'fail', two thirds, one 2.2 and one 2.1, if I remember right), my second year marks were far, far better (four 2.1s and a first), and one of the essays I submitted alongside my applications was the first I submitted in third year; it had not been marked at this point so it was a bit of a gamble, but it paid off as it received 73. I received conditional offers of 2.1 from seven of the eight universities I applied to (rejection from Oxford).

If you receive a 2.1 you should have no problem receiving an offer, and I would be sceptical about the suggestion that most postgraduates have firsts. You might want to check my profile ('about me'), because I uploaded the personal statements I used for the universities and this might be of some use to you.

If you have any further questions ask away.

ReputationRep:
    evantej, that's v. helpful. My situation sounds quite similar to yours, my second year grades were a first, four 2:1's and a 2:2.

I think getting poor grades in my first essays this year ( a 2:1 and 2:2, admittedly not a complete disaster!) has given my confidence a bit of a knock but I will definitely continue with my applications as it's something i've always wanted to do, and always thought I had the ability to do.

Thanks for the advice and I will definitely have a read of your personal statements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryStudent)
    evantej, that's v. helpful. My situation sounds quite similar to yours, my second year grades were a first, four 2:1's and a 2:2.

I think getting poor grades in my first essays this year ( a 2:1 and 2:2, admittedly not a complete disaster!) has given my confidence a bit of a knock but I will definitely continue with my applications as it's something i've always wanted to do, and always thought I had the ability to do.

Thanks for the advice and I will definitely have a read of your personal statements
    Third year can be a nerve racking experience, particularly as some units tend to be assessed only by one essay and an exam, for example. If you bomb on the essay then there is little chance of rescuing the unit in most cases.

If you have any worries then talk to your lecturers; they have probably gone through them themselves and they will be able to give you advice about moving firmly into the high 2.1/first range, revising for exams and will obviously provide you with references.

Glad I could help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.