Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

X Day - 9th December = March On Parliament. Watch

ReputationRep:
    We will not accept 80% cuts on university funding whilst other departments have much smaller cuts. We will not accept a tripling of university fees, no matter how fair the repayment system is. We will not accept such extortionate fees whilst students in Wales, Scotland and mainland Europe will have much cheaper fees. The government has the funds to keep fees as it is, as much as Cameron denies it.

The official university thinktank Million+ believes that these changes to the fee system will even damage the economy moreso.

http://www.millionplus.ac.uk/press/t...r-to-pay-paul-

9th December has been announced as the day the parliamentary vote on fees will occur. It has been dubbed as X-Day and will be a large peaceful protest in Parliament Square. Please come.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=136567579732280

ReputationRep:
    and also

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11892634

Drat!

I'll still be in Aberdeen then. :doh:

ReputationRep:
      I though there was one on Sunday? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ussumane)
      I though there was one on Sunday? :holmes:
      Yes but 9th is the main day. Sunday will probably be quiet in comparison I think.

ReputationRep:
      That day history will be made.

ReputationRep:
      http://www.facebook.com/event.php?ei...36567579732280

There is the facebook event page for anyone interested. This is going to be a crazy event, the numbers are increasing rapidly and I reckon if we spread the word we could get as many people showing up as the first protest, hopefully more! Please, please make the effort to get into London that day. This is the day we have all been waiting for!!

ReputationRep:
      Out of curiosity, do you people not have end of term exams or coursework? Or are you guys hoping the university gives you 2.1s out of sheer gratefulness for this "sacrifice" you are making?

ReputationRep:
      A week before my end-of-term exams. Can't really justify taking time out to travel down to London for it.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ish90an)
      Out of curiosity, do you people not have end of term exams or coursework? Or are you guys hoping the university gives you 2.1s out of sheer gratefulness for this "sacrifice" you are making?
      I am a sixth former. L6.

ReputationRep:
      The marches are too much. They're boring now.

You can't 'bomb the Government into submission', which is seemingly what these marches intend to do.

Peaceful? Pah, we all know it won't be and it's irresponsible to have this protest when you know full well how, like the others, there will be violence?

I disagree with the rises but I disagree with the protests for a different reason. The sheer amount of these marches has shown this is a simple undermining of democracy, you won't allow the 'elected' individuals to make the decisions because you feel your minority has more of a mandate.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by chiggy321)
      The marches are too much. They're boring now.

You can't 'bomb the Government into submission', which is seemingly what these marches intend to do.

Peaceful? Pah, we all know it won't be and it's irresponsible to have this protest when you know full well how, like the others, there will be violence?

I disagree with the rises but I disagree with the protests for a different reason. The sheer amount of these marches has shown this is a simple undermining of democracy, you won't allow the 'elected' individuals to make the decisions because you feel your minority has more of a mandate.
      The majority of the students cannot vote. What else do you propose we do? I wrote to my MP, I got the same old generic cut and paste job back. Students have no alternative.

And apart from the first protest there has not any serious 'violence'. If you think a select minority of people, who have been kettled in for hours venting their frustation on a police van is enough to classify an entire protest involving thousands of people as violent then you are deluded. The media exaggerate everything, it is their job.

This thread isn't for a debate there are plenty of other threads for that, this is to promote the thread to students who feel that we shouldn't roll over to politicians.

ReputationRep:
      They'll get nowhere near the Parliament Square btw. The police presence will be huge. It'll just be more bland chanting while a few people who came along for a fight provoke the police at the front.

The most interesting thing that will have happened in this saga is Millbank.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ilovedubstep)
      The majority of the students cannot vote. What else do you propose we do? I wrote to my MP, I got the same old generic cut and paste job back. Students have no alternative.

And apart from the first protest there has not any serious 'violence'. If you think a select minority of people, who have been kettled in for hours venting their frustation on a police van is enough to classify an entire protest involving thousands of people as violent then you are deluded. The media exaggerate everything, it is their job.

This thread isn't for a debate there are plenty of other threads for that, this is to promote the thread to students who feel that we shouldn't roll over to politicians.
      It depends how you're classifying students. All university students can vote.

150 were arrested in the last protest, and this is with a liberal police service who don't wish to infringe on people's right to protest! The one before that involved a police van being set alight amongst other provocations and the first main protest featured the whole Conservative offices fiasco.

I respect that this is your 'Advertising Billboard' for the protests, however, consider this the graffiti that is so often painted over it! But on a serious note, if that's the intention then I won't turn this into something it shouldn't be.

ReputationRep:
      It isn't the current university students who will be affected by the fee rises though. Although they will be by the cuts, I'm sure.

I guess after X Day the protests will die down, the vote will have been passed by then.

Edit: I'm joining in the debate now. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
      I've seen people with the attitude that has got this country into the state it's in:

"Close the steel industry?", don't protest it's a waste of time.
      "Sell-off manufacturing?", don't protest, no-one listens.
      "Close the coal mines?", don't protest, it won't make any difference.
      "Vote for the working class?", don't protest, do you think anyone cares?
      "Triple university fees", what's the use of protesting?

Tell that to the suffragette movement, the Jarrow March, the Tolpuddle Martyrs, the Chartists, The Fuel Protesters of 2000, the Withdrawal of the Poll Tax, the resignation of Thatcher, the effort to address the institutional racism of the Met - All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Mass tut-tutting doth not effective opposition make...

And how can the government justify them when they are campaigning to host the world cup, which will cost millions (and it doesn't matter how much they make from 'tourism' I doubt it will cover the cost of hosting it and the security involved).

Ireland played by their rules and still ended up stuffed. Furthermore they played by their remedies, massive cuts, and have ended up in an even deeper hole. In fact, the exact opposite of what the cuts were supposedly meant to achieve has happened. And now UK is going down the same path.

It is the wheelers and dealers of international capitalism who are responsible for this mess. And it is the ordinary people who are being made to pay for the consequences, while the real villains continue to make hay, even whilst the sun doesn't shine.

End the Afghan war, save countless lives and of course £5bn a year.

Cut defence spending by £10 billion and cancel Trident.

Clamp down on the Tax evaders. Several billions more I believe.

Cancel the aircraft carriers over £5bn. If BAE complain the government could always reopen al-Yamamah deal or pass on sensitive documents to wikileaks.

"Go back to bed, UK. Your government has figured out how it all transpired. Go back to bed, UK. Your government is in control again. Here. Here's Strictly Come Dancing. Watch this, shut up. Go back to bed, UK. Here is X-Factor. Here's 56 channels of it! Watch these pituitary cretins murder AOR and MOR ballads and congratulate you on living in the land of freedom. Here you go, UK! You are free to do as we tell you! You are free to do what we tell you!"
      - Thanks, Bill Hicks.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ilovedubstep)
      We will not accept 80% cuts on university funding whilst other departments have much smaller cuts. We will not accept a tripling of university fees, no matter how fair the repayment system is. We will not accept such extortionate fees whilst students in Wales, Scotland and mainland Europe will have much cheaper fees. The government has the funds to keep fees as it is, as much as Cameron denies it.

The official university thinktank Million+ believes that these changes to the fee system will even damage the economy moreso.

http://www.millionplus.ac.uk/press/t...r-to-pay-paul-

9th December has been announced as the day the parliamentary vote on fees will occur. It has been dubbed as X-Day and will be a large peaceful protest in Parliament Square. Please come.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=136567579732280

Add this link to your first message - this is the official event link on facebook. As of now 4500 people have signed up! We need another zero to this number!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by JustAnotherCliche)
      http://www.facebook.com/event.php?ei...36567579732280

There is the facebook event page for anyone interested. This is going to be a crazy event, the numbers are increasing rapidly and I reckon if we spread the word we could get as many people showing up as the first protest, hopefully more! Please, please make the effort to get into London that day. This is the day we have all been waiting for!!
      Keep doing the great job and spread the info about the event! We should make this national! People from as far as Southampton, Bristol, Manchester and Glasgow will be coming!

ReputationRep:
      Seems I hit a nerve; for thee, I suggest this website. Enjoy!

ReputationRep:
      I would like to recommend this article too - not a Clegg to stand on

We will show the government that we are not prepared to sit back and allow this to happen.They ignored our first protest and the second but we will show them that this will not stop - we are not just ignorant young people who want days off school and college, we are passionate, intelligent members of this society with a right to stand up for what we belive in until they listen.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.