Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    best way to revise as biology + chemistry?

basically, i got okies gcse's, i want/NEED all a's for as level, i'm doing biology, chemistry, maths + history.

i know maths is all past papers, but what should i do for biology + chemistry, past papers, make more notes on top of what teachers given us, i mean i'm confused?

i'm just reading through my textbook, im so confused + worried

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I'm on the same boat as you are! done well in my gcse's, currently studying as level biology, chemistry, law, psychology. Biology and Chemistry are sooo hard to revise!
    During GCSE i was told we could learn the whole book and get an A*, now it seems its totally different.
    I'm sorry i can't help you but i'm going to subscribe to this page v.often because im STRUGGLING ALOT!

ReputationRep:
    For biology, im going to be doing lots of past papers, and also, looking at the specifications, as some things have been taken off of the specifications since the past papers were written, meaning some of the questions you will not have learnt about

For chemistry, im going through my textbook (AS for AQA) and completing lots of questions, which are on each page. Also, my Chemistry teacher has introduced me to: http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/
    This website has some practice papers (not made by AQA) and some review exercises which should help

Hope this helps X

ReputationRep:
    Make revision notes then do exam papers and exam-style questions. Repeat until you want to die.

ReputationRep:
    which exam boards?

you can't beat past papers....i remember when i had my final A-level chemistry exam i did a past paper the night before which had a question turn up verbatim the next day.

With chem, also dont forget your reaction schemes for the organic bits..... makes a nice diagram to put on the wall!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    all I can say is look over the specifications and make sure there is not a single word on it that you have missed. Once you've done this, then you should try the past papers.

ReputationRep:
    For revision notes do mindmaps with little pictures. I'm not talking about the spider diagrams they make you do in school but the one created by Tony Buzan.

And biology at as/a level is mainly about communication and application of your knowledge so you can't just be mindless and answer all the questions from memory. You need to think clearly and on the spot about these questions. Doing past papers and look at how they write the mark scheme helps alot. Try to think about what you learnt from different angles. For example, if a feotus has a steep oxygen dissociation curve it might mean their mother have a low oxgen level in her blood etc

ReputationRep:
    For Biology I'm learning definitions, re-doing homework, doing practice papers, summarising my notes and reading through the text book.

For Chemistry I'm just doing practice questions, reading through the text book and getting my dad to quiz me on all the alkanes stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I appreciate the comment, How many hours should I am be aiming for daily, revision/work wise?

x

ReputationRep:
    hi
    no one can really tell you how many hours you should put in a day that up to you as an individual. some people wake up reaaly early - im talking 5am - cos thats when they do their best revision and some people start late and work though half the night.
    with me i do approximately between 6-8 hours a day. i wake up at like 10 (so i get my lie in ) and revise through out the day - taking breaks for lunch, gilmore girls and dinner thats in the holidays.
    during term time is different - i probably put in 6 hours a day including frees and put in a lot of late night in the days before the exam

one advice from me is dont do a timetable that sets time limits
    such as i must do respiration in 1 hour - it does not work that way. i would do day topics. such as by tonight i must have covered respiration topic - this allows more flexibility

and give yourself a reward if accomplished
    but i think 6 hours is what most people are doing - about 8-10 probably the days before the exams. you will have to make some sacrifices but it will be worth it. and make sure you take a weekend off after ure exams to just relax and eat thats what i do

ReputationRep:
    we are taking the exact same subjects, mm i don't know if my way is the best way, but i found it helped me in my As chemistry mock, got 71%, got some of the easiest questions wrong :|

what i do is ... get an A2 size paper, and write in tiny writing all over it, re-writing all the notes and such iv been doing in class, until the paper is full ...( iv been doing this since the start of the AS), then i get a A4 size paper and try and write all the things i must know for the exam, its useful for last min revision on the bus and such,

atm i have 3 A2 sized papers stuck on my walls (for other subjects) full of tiny writing, looks crazy but iv had people saying it looks artistic

i am worried about biol work though , my notes are nowhere near as tidy

+ sorry about spelling and such, very distracted atm

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.